Any suggestions for cause of allergies (kinda long)

Thread: Any suggestions for cause of allergies (kinda long)

DefaultAny suggestions for cause of allergies (kinda long)

Hello All. This may turn into a kinda long post but here goes. When Boomer had puppy mites the vet had us give him benadryl for his itching well he can't take benadryl. He blows up with hives. The mites are gone that was info just for history. Yesterday I let Boomer out at about 12:30 to go potty and then put him back in his kennel and went back to work. When my hubby came home at about 3:30 Boomer's face was blown up huge with hives. He looked like a Sharpei with out the wrinkles. Anyway we took him to the vet and the vet gave a shot and some prednisone for later. He also suggested a bath in oatmeal. Boomer was extremely itchy he was going all over the house trying to find somewhere to rub. So I gave him a bath with oatmeal and that seemed to help the itching some. Then at @ 9: 30 I gave his first dose of prednisone. About 45 minutes later the hives were back only this time they were more on his underside. So we called the vet and took him in for another shot of whatever steroid they had used before. This morning the hives have seem to gone away except his ears are still a little red inside and he shakes his head some. The vet called and said to really clean his kennel good and his pillow inside which I am in the process of doing. My question after all that is we have to try to find out what is causing his allergic reaction? The vet says she doesn't think it was jnust the prednisone. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for us to consider? His kennel that he is in during the day is inside its a extra large pet porter thing. When I cleaned it out this morning I didn't find any insects or any type of bugs. I am kinda at a loss as to what to be looking for. But I really want to try and figure out what is he may be allergic to before I have him tested for allergies since it is kinda pricey. I will do that if it is my only option to figure out what makes him blow up with hives. Cause he was a miserable little guy last night. Thanks in advance for any help. I guess photobucket is having some issues so I can't add a picture.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Any suggestions for cause of allergies (kinda long)

Is it possible that he was bitten by something when you let him outside?

Since my post I have noticed a small area on the underside of his right ear that looks to maybe be a bite of some kind. So I am going to keep an eye on it azs well as him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It does sound like a bite of some kind but also consider anything that may have been put on the yard (fertilizer, weed killer, weed & feed, etc).

If you decide to test for allergies, talk to the allergist about CareCredit. http://www.carecredit.com/practices/veterinary/ It's a credit card for medical procedures (human and animal). They have different programs including 0% interst for x amount of months. I just had Murray tested and this is the card I used since the test was $800.