Nemo's knee...new question

Thread: Nemo's knee...new question

DefaultNemo's knee...new question

We know Nemo's surgery failed (the suture supposedly pulled out of the stainless steel crimp), and he has drawer sign again. We called the surgeon to see if he should have the surgery again, right away, and if it would be the same surgery, or a modified procedure. The surgeon's assistant said she had never heard of an operation of our type failing and that the surgeon wanted to see Nemo again (probably to verify that his handiwork didn't hold). My question is, do people think we should have the operation again, or try to steadily exercise him from here and hope that muscle and scar tissue form around the joint to stabilize it on his own? I am leaning toward the operation, so the scar tissue that will form will form around a "tight joint" and not a loose one. Any other comments please? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nemo's knee...new question

I don't know what to say about the surgeon saying they never had a failure but my surgeon has done a ton of them and he drilled a hole in the bone to anchor the bands the second time. Once recovery was over he is doing great. Maybe you should get another opinion if he doesn't know how to modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by FieldLabLover
    I don't know what to say about the surgeon saying they never had a failure but my surgeon has done a ton of them and he drilled a hole in the bone to anchor the bands the second time. Once recovery was over he is doing great. Maybe you should get another opinion if he doesn't know how to modify it.
    Was the second surgery the "same procedure", ie, did it cost as much and take as long to recover, or did they modify it somehow? Thanks for the reply

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Like I said, the procedure was modified with a hole drilled through the bone to anchor the bands. I lucked out in that the surgeon was a vet I use for hip and elbow xrays and he took half off the 2nd surgery which was basically his surgical fee. The first 2 weeks after the surgery were worse because it was more invasive and he had retained fluid but once the fluid reabsorbed he was walking better and now he thinks he can do anything and barley has a limp. I swim him when I can. I think he was pretty good at a month post surgery. Where are you?

Nemo is 4 months past surgery. He should be pretty well healed, but his limp was still very noticeable, especially after activity. My vet said just give it time, but I wanted him checked. Sure enough. Operation had failed. ;-( All that patience and hard work down the drain, not to mention what Nemo went through too. Poor guy!

Quote Originally Posted by NemoRocks
    Nemo is 4 months past surgery.* He should be pretty well healed, but his limp was still very noticeable, especially after activity.* My vet said just give it time, but I wanted him checked.* Sure enough.* Operation had failed.* ;-(* All that patience and hard work down the drain, not to mention what Nemo went through too.* Poor guy!
    I had the same thing happen. I didn't know if the limp was normal. I didn't wait that long to have him checked because I was going with 2 other dogs for OFA's and brought him along to have him checked and the bands were not in place.