NuVet Plus

Thread: NuVet Plus

DefaultNuVet Plus

Is any one using nuvet products? The breeder recomended I use them but at over a dollar a day they can add up. Is there an alternative product? My Lab eats Eukanuba Lamb and Rice for adults. She's 5 mos. Is a nutritional supplement neccesary? I want to do all I can to keep her healthy but the price is a little steep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NuVet Plus

Personally I am not a big Euk. fan. Too much corn in their dog foods.

We use some supplements but not Nuvet. Normally there is no reason to supplement a young puppy on a decent quality of food.

labby is offline Senior Member

The breeder gets a kickback so of course they're going to recommend it. If you are feeding a namebrand premium food you DO NOT need to supplement. In fact, it may cause problems with the puppy if you do.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Why anti-eukanuba? It was reccomended to me. Is there another product in the same price range $40/bag I could use that would provide better nutrition?? She's eating Lamb and Rice now. I am open to change. My cat is eating Iams. I have heard bad things but am respondsible for being slow to change. The cat is refuses to eat anything else...I tried mixing foods to help w/ change..nope...she sits at the bowl and meows for hours. Any advice would be great.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think that if Eukanuba is working for your puppy, I'd stick with it. Dogs do well on all different types of food...if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I've seen dogs do absolutely amazing on Eukanuba foods, though I don't have my dogs on Eukanuba (they are on two different types of foods because they've done well on them, and in my opinion, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

As far as NuVet is concerned...I agree with Labby. If your dog/puppy is on a premium diet, there is no need to supplement with anything...and you could be doing more harm than good. Breeders get a substantial financial kick-back if you order it under their special "distributer" number. It is a good way to make an extra buck.

However, for a growing lab puppy, NuVet has waaaay too high of calcium levels as a percentage of daily intake. This can actually promote orthopedic problems in developing puppies. I shake my head at breeders who sell their puppy-buyers on this product. (Sigh)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon