How many days

Thread: How many days

DefaultHow many days

do you wait to let your female Lab play again, after being spayed? I dont completely trust what the vet's assistant told me: "Next day after the surgery, she can go back to her normal life" ??? Well, I'm not letting her play fetch because she is a little rough and I think she might open the wound... :-\ But I am taking her on small walks, she seems to be pretty happy that we go to the park but on the second day she was already expecting a ball being thrown

Today (3 days after surgery) she was crying a little and she looked a little sad, but yesterday she looked and acted almost normal... ???

I've heard dogs can recover in a week or less from the surgery... what are your experiences? And your recommendations ???

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: How many days

WOW... I have always heard and been told quiet down time for at the least 10 days NO sooner.

Well, I would've imagine you dont just recover that fast from surgery :-\ and wanted to make sure, because if she is still feeling pain every now and then, doesnt make sense that she can return to normal life in less than 10 days. :-\

Thank you, I feel better as I dont feel much as an over protective mother :-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

you are very welcome

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yep...its 10 days at least. How irresponsible of your vet's assistant. At least you had the initiative to come on here and ask about her "advice". Sadly, other people will follow the same advice and possibly end up injuring their dog. Common sense tells you that no dog should be "back to normal activities" 24 hours after surgery especially as the operation is more complicated for a female. What a numbnuts.

I've heard dogs can recover in a week or less from the surgery... what are your experiences? And your recommendations
    I would leash walk only for the next 10 days. As you say, you don't want to risk having the stitches split.

ChewyCharlie Guest

10 days, we thought this seemed a little long when Charlie got neutered, but stuck to it, no complications either. But he really milked it for the first few days, what a suck, but then again, do you blame him? :

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

That vet assistant is an idiot. You need to call your vet and tell him what she told you, before some other unsuspecting owner takes her advice to heart and has their dog's incision split wide open.

ChewyCharlie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    That vet assistant is an idiot.* You need to call your vet and tell him what she told you, before some other unsuspecting owner takes her advice to heart and has their dog's incision split wide open.*
    Totally agree with this, our vet assistant seems to be a total nut case as well, don't know whats going on with these people :-\

Well, this is one of the best vets here...yet, he sort of doesnt like me because I ask too many questions > and I read a lot, so when I second guess him... > > >

I'm mad he didnt see me himself, because for costs here. I spend just $100 for the surgery and another $100 for a separate anesthesiologist. For you in US, it may sound just normal for spaying a dog, but here it is half a month's salary for most people... The point is I expect certain kind of service and he usually doesnt give it, yet, he's got the knowledge and experience and that I dont really know about other vets in this area.

I just think that this is what they are teaching them in veterinary school, because there was another student/assistance present when i was told about the post-operation care and she didnt correct this guy. :-\ >

Thank you all, for your advice. I love being able to count on you guys

Echo had her op at the end of July and it was not until the middle of August that I let her off the lead. Your vets assistant should find herself another job.

[attachment deleted by admin]