shots?

Thread: shots?

Defaultshots?

we just recently brought home two lab girls of the same litter. this morning, they went into the vets for their shots. i'm not sure which round of shots they were as there are three different dates listed for each round of shots. At 5 weeks, the puppies recieved distemper, parainfluenza, parvo, and coronavirus. today (10 weeks), they were to recieve the same, but the records indicated that they should recieve bordetella too. the receptionist asked if we were planning on boarding them anytime soon, and since we weren't, they planned to give the puppies this vaccine at 15 weeks with their last round of shots + rabies.

anyway, our vet came into the room and we put one of the puppies onto the table. he listened to her heart, took a stool sample, and cleaned her ears. he said, "okay, let me go get their shots," and left the room. with the same puppy on the table, he came back into the room about 20 minutes later with a syringe. he put the syringe down, and began listening to her heart again. i said, "you've already checked this puppy out. it's not the second puppy. she just needs her shots." he replied, "oh, i already gave her her set of shots. where is the other? they look so much alike, i got them confused."

so we put the second puppy onto the table and he listened to her heart, but did not look into her ears or anything. he gave her a shot and said that he would call in about a month to have them come in for the final round of shots. anyway, i think that he made a mistake and only gave one puppy her round of shots. i noticed and asked about it, but he insisted that he had given both of the puppies their shots. he's really fast at getting things done, but i'm pretty sure that the first puppy did not get any sort of shot. what do i do? if we take her back into the vet, and she accidently recieves a second dose, will it hurt her? i don't want her to be without her shots, but i'm concered with her "overdosing," if that's possible. any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: shots?

I donno about the shot thing but I would be finding a diffrent vet. I don't like the sounds of how to turn out at all!

a new vet. any way can they do a blood test a tither(sp) to check if the pup has any antibodies

midnight 's mom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sounds too confusing too me. I am not surprised he got them mixed up. Did you at least have different collars on them so that they looked a little different to a "non-mothers" eye?

Thanks for suggesting the blood test. I will mention it again during their 15 week check-up. Dad says, "I've had dogs all of my life, and these are the second that I've ever taken in to get shots. She'll be alright without." I said, "Dad, this isn't 1938." =p

Our vet is really very good at what he does, has been refered by many, and has taken great care of our previous animals when in need. If you need him at 3am, he will meet you at the office. But... he certainly is a work-a-holic, so i'm sure his head is spinning at certain parts of the day.

Yes, we do have different colored collars on them. I wouldn't even be able to tell them apart really if we didn't.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I don't have the answer to your shot question, although I do know that you do not want to OVER vaccinate (of course, you don't want to UNDER vaccinate either). Here is a suggestion though -- when you take them to the vet, take someone else along and have them wait outside with puppy #2, while you take puppy #1 in to the exam room. When puppy #1 is finished, then take him out and bring in puppy #2. This will ensure that each dog gets the individual attention it deserves, and prevent future mix-ups.