Ear infections
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear infections

DefaultEar infections

Ok I posted this in a different topic but decided to start a new thread since I feel it is important. In a food discussion someone posted that if your dog is not having ear infections, coat or skin problems don't worry about changing food...

??? Food can cause ear infections? I didn't know that. Hank has been getting ear infections but the vet told me they were from water getting in his ears. It seemed to me that he got them regardles of if he was near water or not. And I always clean his ears with the solution that is supposed to dry up the water. I had no idea it could be from his food! Any suggestions on special food for that? How long after I change the food should the ear infections clear up to know if that was the problem?

So I thought that maybe I could get a range of different suggestions here...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear infections

It can be caused from being in the water...but the more likely culprit is an intolerance (not necessarily an allergy) to something in the food. Some ingredients just simply allow more of a build up than others.

If that is the only by-product of your food...then just make sure you are cleaning them weekly...but don't over clean them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thank you

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Why are you feeding lamb to Hank? Chicken is usually the first choice unless the dog has a sensitivity to chicken, since its more digestible than lamb. Maybe the ear gunk is due to the lamb. Maybe a switch to a chicken based diet would help.

Laura

I'm not feeding him lamb. It is just a basic adult Pedigree (I know it's not the best but it is the only thing I have found that he likes). Is there lamb in that? I guess I need to look. So no lamb... Lots of Chicken? WHat about fish? Do they make foods with fish and would that be better?

He has a day of food left so I will try something new when I go to get the new bag.

Oops, had you confused with someone else. Dump the Pedigree. The ingredients are not good and that very well could be why you are seeing ear gunk.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Look at that link and then go to the dog food store and look at labels. Buy the smallest bag you can, in case it doesn't work for him. Put the food down for 10 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, then you pick it up and he doesn't get another chance to eat until the next scheduled feeding time. No exceptions. No treats, nothing.

Then you put the food down again at the next feeding for the same 10 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, then he goes hungry until the next scheduled feeding time. You need to be strong here. More than likely he will play you "Oh I'm starving mom" and you will feel sorry for him. DON'T!!

You keep doing this until he eats. If he eats half of the food and walks away, you DO NOT add anymore food to his dish. He does not get any more food until he eats every kernal of food in that dish. If he leaves one kernal, that's what he gets the next time.

Trust me, he will soon learn he eats when YOU tell him too. Pick a food you like, can afford, etc. and that's what he gets.

Laura

Thank you for the advice. I am going to PetsMart tomorrow and I will look for something there. What ingredients should I look for?

Read the link.

Laura

Oops sorry I hadn't gotten that for with your message because I am at work and have been very busy today. Thank you so much for your help!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Laura's article is good, so keep that in mind when looking for a food. Since you are thinking allergies are causing the ear gook, I would initially get corn out of the diet. That means Corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal, anything any form of corn. Many foods don't use "corn" but then hide corn gluten meal lower in the ingredients.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast