Cranberry Juice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranberry Juice?

DefaultCranberry Juice?

Hi everyone,
    Oakley has been having trouble with bladder infections, this is her second and she is only 5 months. The last one she also developed crystals in her urine. The vet gave me 3 weeks of clavamox and the infection might be clearing up but slowly.
    I have heard lots about cranberry tablets and am wondering if cranberry juice would have the same effect.
    Has anyone used the juice instead of the tablets?
    Thanks
    Lana

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cranberry Juice?

The juice in adequate amounts will do the same thing.......but have you ever tried to get a dog to drink that stuff. :P I find that hiding a tablet to be a lot easier.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I use Cranactin capsules and just open them up and dump them on her food. I never have any trouble getting her take them this way. I only give her one a day now, but when she was having a UTI, I gave her two/day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I used to give Oona a tablespoon of plain yogurt because she had 4 UTI's before she was 1. Last year she had alot of problems with food allergies and I eliminated all dairy from her diet.
    Olie

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

You could compare the dosage of a cranberry pill to that of the juice...if it's 100% cranberry juice it should reap the same benefits. I don't think I could get Brigetta to drink it though. I just throw a capsule in with her dinner and she eats it right up.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

IMHO, the pills are easier, you just toss one in with the kibble and no one notices. If you do juice, you have to first make sure you get the 100% kind and then how on earth are you going to get a lab to drink juice? I would imagine it would make the kibble taste bad!

I hadn't really thought of getting her to drink it. I just think it is easier to find in the store.
    Oakley is a garbage gut so she may drink it. Who knows?
    I certainly don't like it, hee hee

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oakley
    I hadn't really thought of getting her to drink it.* I just think it is easier to find in the store.
    Cranberry pills can be found anywhere from Walmart to GNC and everywhere in between

sometimes food can cause the urinary infections and the crystals. we had labx that kept having this problem. we switch food and no more infections

Midnight's mom

I have changed her food.

I talked to the vet about the cranberry juice. She mentioned that there is concerns that dark berries can have the same toxicity as grapes. She had been part of some research that has been studying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast