Chicken & Rice Diet (Homemade)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken & Rice Diet (Homemade)

DefaultChicken & Rice Diet (Homemade)

Hi. I am new to this message board so if this subject has already been discussed, please forgive me.

I have a two-year old Lab who seems to do fine on dry dog food for a while then will have stomach issues (vomit). I was wondering if anyone on this board has their dog on a homemade chicken (cooked of course) & rice diet and can give any advice for doing this as a permanent diet. Recipes that you use, vitamins that you give in addition to, etc. I am just starting to research this while I am waiting for the vet to get back with me concerning a nutrition book she thinks she has.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chicken & Rice Diet (Homemade)

You'll have to be very careful to make the diet balanced. Have you tried the sensitive stomach diets? Do you moisten your dog's dry food? Regardless, I hope you can resolve the problem. Just work closely with your vet to insure a balanced diet.

Yes we have been moistening the dry food. I have not tried the sensitive formula dog food...yet. Just researching options. Just seems like he has a hard time with dog food no matter what formula it is.

Thanks for replying.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How many times a day are you feeding?

Twice...once in the morning...once in the evening.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What brand are you feeding and how much of it? sometimes these problems can simply be caused by overfeeding. It could even be an intolerance to one or more ingredients.

You CAN do a homecooked diet, but most people favour feeding RAW over cooked. A diet of just chicken and rice is not balanced and you would have to supplement with bones, different meat protein sources and other bits and pieces (veggies, etc.). A raw/homecooked diet will never be as "balanced" as a high quality dry feed but missing out certain nutrients can actually do the dog more harm then good.

If you want to learn more about raw feeding, try these links;

www.rawlearning.com
    groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding
    www.raw-dogs.com/default.htm
    www.raw-connections.com
    http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

Of course, if you decide to take the plunge, it is best to talk to some experienced feeders in person.

We have been feeding Purina One Lamb & Rice lately. We have tried higher quality foods (Innova, Natural Balance, etc.) and end up with the same results eventually...upset stomach. We placed him on the Purina One at the recommendation of our vet who said her dog can handle the Purina One if she gets an upset stomach.

I don't believe we are overfeeding as we have to be very careful with his weight. He had TPO (HD) surgery when he was only 7 months old (another thread would have to be started on this subject). So we have to be sure he doesn't get too heavy due to the hip.

My vet did say in her e-mail reply when asked about the chicken and rice diet that we would have to add a few other ingredients and vitamins. But that it was a good way to go. She was going to see if the clinic had a specific book that also had recipes in it.

I knew of an Akita several years ago that had stomach issues and was on a steamed rice only diet for it. I can't remember if he received vitamins or not. But all he ate was the rice.

Thanks for the links!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We have been feeding Purina One Lamb & Rice lately. We have tried higher quality foods (Innova, Natural Balance, etc.) and end up with the same results eventually...upset stomach. We placed him on the Purina One at the recommendation of our vet who said her dog can handle the Purina One if she gets an upset stomach.
    High quality food tends to be very rich and some don't agree with dogs with stomach issues. Purine ONE isn't great either but in a different way --too many grains a fillers. You might want to try a middle of the road food; ProPlan (from the makers of Purina ONE) and Nutro come to mind. Dogs with sensitive stomaches often do better on a fish based formula.

I knew of an Akita several years ago that had stomach issues and was on a steamed rice only diet for it. I can't remember if he received vitamins or not. But all he ate was the rice.
    Dogs need variation in their diet. We couldn't survive and be healthy on a diet of just rice so nor can a dog. Besides, looking at the dog from the outside is no indication of what is going on inside.

I would be wary of going with your vets advice in regards to nutrition. You are probably better off talking to someone who deals specifically with nutrition. If you intend to homecook, talking to raw feeders both online and in person is a good idea.

When does he vomit and what is he vomiting? How long has this been going on?

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Does this dog ever have a temp or a fever? Has it ever had any type of lameness or odd behavior that you have noticed as in not interested in playing, going off by itself, ect? Have you taken the dog anywhere different as in with you on vacation anywhere? Do you have any ticks in your area?

If you can get this food in your area you may want to try it for the upset tummy:
    http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/ep_natural.html
    You can also call (their nutritionist) or e-mail them and explain what problem you are having and they will be very helpful in recommending a food for you.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast