On heat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On heat

DefaultOn heat

Hi my lab is currently in season and she has been for a few weeks now. Any way after our walk this morning I tied her up and went in the shop to get a paper and when I came out there was a person there with a male dog. I thought nothing of it, I thought he was just waiting to tie his dog up, to go in the shop but I said she’s in season and he said o my dog tried matting with her 3 times and I said did you try taking him away and he said no? ??? and he had a weird kind of smile on his face. And I don’t know if he actually let his dog mate with mine ??? I was in the shop for about 1 minute.
    We were planning on getting here spayed but the vet advised after she’s been in her first heat. Is there any way you can find out she pregnant?

I’m most likely just worrying but the person wasn’t telling what happened and he went of laughing which made me worry more.
    Is there any way you can find out if she becomes pregnant?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: On heat

I don't believe so ... if you are really concerned you should take her to your vet, explain what happened, and have her spayed ASAP. They can spay girls while they are in season, although it is somewhat riskier.

Your bitch will only be receptive to a male on certain days during her season. In general I think it begins around day 10 of the cycle and lasts for 9 days or so. However, this varies by girl.

I would contact your vet asap if I were you to be on the safe side... Good luck...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd have her spayed IMMEDIATELY.,...and then I would advise you to tell yourself how irresponsible that was to leave a dog in heat in public.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I'd have her spayed IMMEDIATELY.,...and then I would advise you to tell yourself how irresponsible that was to leave a dog in heat in public.
    I was going to write pretty much the same thing, but hopefully just in a little bit less of harsh tone....

It is not wise to take an in season dog out into the public arena unless absolutely neccessary due to living conditions (apartment, etc.) and it was a risky thing to have done so and then to have left her tied up without supervision.

I seriously doubt the gentleman in question allowed his dog to mate with yours; how long were you actually inside the shop?* He was likely pulling your leg a bit; however, I would still talk to your vet as soon as possible.* And then WEIGH the risks to your girl if you are advised to spay her while she is in season.

Since you intend to spay her, then this portion of advise is for any future puppy you may adopt; don't take your in season girls out into a public arena unless absolutely neccessary and don't leave them unsupervised for even a short time.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

have to agree with the last two post, Sammi has been in heat for a couple of week's now, and she hasnt' been seen by anyone but us and my co-workers (take her to work to keep her socialized and give her a fun outing). But otherwise she is under lock and key and not out of site for a sec.

Thanks for the replies. I've defiantly learnt from my mistake of leaving her out side unsupervised. I also saw the same person this morning whilst getting the paper and I left my dog at home this time. I asked him about it and he said all his dog did was try but he said he took his dog away and holded it back. So I think I just took it the wrong way yesterday. And I was just worrying and jumping to conclusions.

Um....dogs don't have to tie produce pups.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

I don't want to get into an argument over this.......but since I feel that "um...dogs don't have to..." perhaps implying that my reply was ignorant and therefore was in response to my question of "how long were you in the shop" I'm going to respond...

First...the OP realized the mistake and admitted it and will never leave an in season puppy alone again. Harsh words after the fact do no good.

Second....while it is certainly true that pregnancy can be achieved without dogs actually tieing just as there is a chance that two humans can produce a baby without penetration - the odds are extremely low as the first ejaculation of the male ejects only a small amount of fluid - it is the second ejaculation which occurs during the tied together stage that usually ensures pregnancy. This tie stage lasts from 10 - 30 minutes.

Thirdly...my point in posting the timing question was based upon the facts noted in "Second". Without the OP being in the store for 10 or more minutes, it is highly unlikely that a first season bitch would invite a leashed male (who likely also had never mated and therefore was learning as he went) to mount her.....anyone who has watched a mating knows that there is usually a lot of foreplay before the bitch allows the male to mount her. It is therefore sometimes advised to mate an inexperienced male with an experienced bitch to aid in conception.....

There are always exceptions to every rule....that is why I also advised that the OP consult a Vet asap.

Oh jeese Lori....stop reading into threads. I was merely adding to your thread...wasn't directed at you. Get a grip. I was merely stating that dogs don't need to tie to procreate. It's a simple fact. And how do you know that that man's dog has never mated before? That hasn't been stated anywhere....or the length of time he was actually in the store. Many times when we experience things they "SEEM" to be only so long and actually end up being longer...which brings us back to it could have been possible.

SO...before you get all huffy about something...I was merely stating a fact...and you seem to be reading a whole lot into everyone's threads and making a lot of assumptions.

Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast