a few questions

Thread: a few questions

Defaulta few questions

I took Jake to the vet today to get his shots and to start hearworm prevention. I was wondering what causes heartworms and since Jake is an indoor dog is heartworm prevention really necessary? I'm asking this because I really know nothing about heartworms and was just wondering. Also the vet asked me if I wanted to have him neutered, I told her no because we would like to mate him someday if we ever find a female. She told me that I should have him neutered when we are done mating him to reduce the risk of testicular cancer. Is testicular cancer common in Labs? What are your thoughts on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: a few questions

Heartworm is carried by mosquitos. If you live anywhere that mosquitos live you should give the preventative. It is a very serious disease. The worms basically eat their way thru the heart muscle (among other organs) and eventually the dog dies from congestive heart failure. Nope...I wouldn't take a chance with that one.

As for breeding your dog, I would advise neutering him now. Take a trip to the local pound and see just how many Labs (puppies and adults) are put to sleep every day because there aren't enough homes and/or people get tired of the dog. These are the lucky ones because there are just as many relegated to the back yard away from human interaction or chained to tree or running wild in the streets. Breeding quality dogs is more involved than just throwing 2 dogs together. There are numerous health clearances that are needed on both dogs and you need to breed for the betterment of the breed, not just to see the miracle of birth which means researching the pedigree thoroughly and if you are a novice it means having a mentor to help you do this. Reputable breeders hand pick the homes their dogs will go to (often have waiting lists for months or years) and are willing to take that dog back at anytime for any reason.

I'm sure others will chime in here. All I ask is that you really give this some serious thought and seriously, I want you to go to the pound before you follow thru with it. If you can look into all those innocent faces knowing they will be dead tomorrow and can honestly say in your heart that one more litter won't matter, then nothing any of us says really matters.

Please don't think I am a bad person. I had never thought about it like that. Stupidity on my part. We never had any real plans to breed him it was just something that we had talked about, but after you put it that way I will not do that. I would never want to do anything that would cause a dog to be put in a bad situation. I can't believe I didn't think of it that way because I have always told my husband any dogs that we get will be from the dog pound because there are so many dogs in need of a good home. :'( Like I said stupidity on my part. As far as the heartworm prevention I did get it and plan to continue to give it to him. I want to do whatever it takes to keep Jake with us for a long long time. Thanks for the advice and trust me it is taken to heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't think you are a bad person. I hope I didn't come across that way and if I did, I apologize. I just wanted you to think thru the entire process from beginning to end. Obviously many people don't. They think "cute, wiggly puppy", not short life of a 6 month old shelter dog. For the record, my Murray is a rescue too.

Dani is offline Senior Member

What Lydia said...but I have a question....is Jake from the shelter? I only ask because you said that you told your SU that you were only going to get dogs from the shelter...if that is the case, how come he isn't already neutered? If you didn't get him from the shelter...then you definately need to neuter him and not put any more dogs into the system.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

FYI, remember, when the vet tells you something like about putting your dog on heartworm medication, you should ask them questions right then and there. You are paying for the office visit...get your money's worth.

The board is a great resource, but many times I have seen people ask medical advice on the board first instead of calling the vets....

Always defer to the vet first and then do your follow up research here.

Good decision about nuetering your boy too. Breeding is best left to those who make the breed their life-long obsession....

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    FYI, remember, when the vet tells you something like about putting your dog on heartworm medication, you should ask them questions right then and there. You are paying for the office visit...get your money's worth.

The board is a great resource, but many times I have seen people ask medical advice on the board first instead of calling the vets....

Always defer to the vet first and then do your follow up research here.

Good decision about nuetering your boy too. Breeding is best left to those who make the breed their life-long obsession....
    CYNLABS makes a good point. While there are a few members here that are veterinarians, most of us are not. While we may share our experiences and things that we have researched, it cannot supplant professional advice. Take Internet-forum advice with a grain of salt. It's not useless advice, but always check with your vet...he/she is the one that evaluates your dog, and he/she is the one that went to school to make the diagnosis.

Heartworm medication is needed for indoor dogs. Jes is an indoors dog, but yet they all have to go outside to use the bathroom, exercise, play, etc.. Although their risks are lower, it's not down to zero. Think about those times (especially during the summer) when you're only out for a few minutes yet you get several mosquito bites. All it takes is one bite from one infected mosquito.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    What Lydia said...but I have a question....is Jake from the shelter? I only ask because you said that you told your SU that you were only going to get dogs from the shelter...if that is the case, how come he isn't already neutered? If you didn't get him from the shelter...then you definately need to neuter him and not put any more dogs into the system.
    We got Jake from our local dog pound. They don't neuter or spay any of their dogs before they adopt them out. They don't even give them shots or wormer all they do is give you a ten percent discount on your first vet visit. I don't plan on putting any more dogs into the system, I would never do that and I will take your advice. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Dani is offline Senior Member

that is still quite odd. even when our shelter wasn't altering dogs before they left, they required you to put a deposit down and gave you 30 days to have it completed or it gets sent to the district attorney. And why on earth would you breed a shelter dog--especially when you don't know his history? Please get him neutered.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003