Spacing out Vaccinations - A Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacing out Vaccinations - A Question

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultSpacing out Vaccinations - A Question

I have frequently read to space out vaccinations so that the dog doesn't get an overload of vaccines. However, what I haven't read is the appropriate length of time to wait between vaccines. Sami was given her rabies shot 2 weeks ago. How long do I need to wait before she gets her distempter/parvo vaccine? (This is for the 1 year boosters -- she's 14 months old).

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Spacing out Vaccinations - A Question

I try to wait at least 3-4 weeks in between.

Laura

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I try to wait at least 3-4 weeks in between.
    Thanks!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wait about 4 weeks. I also try to give the shots at least a week apart from when I give heartworm treatment ( I have no real basis for this, it just seems better in my mind)

labradork mom is offline Member

This year was the first year I ever had all vaccinations at once. I am so sorry that I did. Two weeks after the shots my dog became very ill with hemorragenic gastroenteritis. The vet says that the shots did not cause this but I do not agree. I am even debating if I will continue to vacinate at all. I am very upset.

Wouldn't the vet know how far apart to space the vaccinations? I expect my vet to tell me when to bring Miles in for his next shot. Not me decide.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    Wouldn't the vet know how far apart to space the vaccinations?* I expect my vet to tell me when to bring Miles in for his next shot.* Not me decide.*
    MilesMom -- Basically the one year boosters all come due at the same time. I decided to have the rabies done earlier than the actual due date for a couple of reasons -- (1) it would allow me to space the shots out and not go over the original "expiration" date of her shots, and (2) I'm guessing that Sami will go into heat any day now (maybe :P) and did not want to vaccinate her during her cycle.

FWIW, I think I have a great vet, but I have found that I really need to "know my stuff" when I go there. They'd administer all vaccines together if I didn't state otherwise ... BUT when I told them I was concerned about vaccinosis they outlined a different protocol for me.

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

There is no need to space out vaccines for children or adults. Having all needed vaccines in one visit does not harm the immune system nor cause any side effects. Children can get up to 4-5 injections in one visit. That is hard for the parent to watch but it does no harm to the child.

I don't understand why this would be an issue with dogs?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabella
    There is no need to space out vaccines for children or adults.* Having all needed vaccines in one visit does not harm the immune system nor cause any side effects.* Children can get up to 4-5 injections in one visit.* That is hard for the parent to watch but it does no harm to the child.

I don't understand why this would be an issue with dogs?

Mirabella --* Just because we do something routinely doesn't make it right.

Do a* search on vaccinosis and it's effects.* Even my own vet, when I brought it up, agreed with me.* I believe the reason it's not brought up by most vets is because they know that the majority of their clients are not going to want to make two or three trips to the vet to do their vaccinations.* Instead they vaccinate the animals w/ multiple vaccines at one time.* *Yes, it's convenient ...and a common practice ... but that doesn't make it in the best interest of the animal.

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

Please read this link.* There have been studies looking at multiple vaccinations and the effects on the immune system.*You can do as you prefer but I usually base my actions on science vs. rumor.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/conce...tiplevac.htm#5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast