environmental allergy symptoms vs food allergy symptoms

Thread: environmental allergy symptoms vs food allergy symptoms

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultenvironmental allergy symptoms vs food allergy symptoms

Are there differences between the symptoms of environmental allergies and food allergies in labs?

I think that foot chewing is an allergy but to which food or environment? What are the others. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: environmental allergy symptoms vs food allergy symptoms

The reason that I asked the above question is because someone told me that if I am giving antihistamines for a food allergy I am wasting my time and should just change the food.

So, that is why I asked what are the different sypmtoms for both types of allergies.

I think foot chewing is one of those problems that is extremely difficult to determine if it isenvironmental or diet related. I just had a bout of it with Bear last month, but fortunately it seemed to clear up after a few days of Benedryl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, I think a lot of time people confuse allergies and intollerances. Less than 5% of dogs are actually allergic to foods...they are intollerant to some foods...not necessarily allergic.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by lab13
    The reason that I asked the above question is because someone told me that if I am giving antihistamines for a food allergy I am wasting my time and should just change the food.
    I would think that Benedryl should work on any allergic reaction, whether environmental or food. When my sister ate seafood and found out she was allergic, the emergency room gave her a Benedryl shot and a steroid shot. I would think dogs would be the same.

My chocolate lab has environmental allergies. Some of his allergies are impossible to avoid...like grass...so when it flares up, Benedryl does the job. Before Rusty had his allergy tests, the vet told me to avoid rawhides and corn/wheat products....I guess that is the common food allergies. Good luck with finding out what he is allergic to....it is so sad seeing your baby uncomfortable and itching nonstop.

kk4389 is offline Member

My Mom's lab has bad allergies. He bites his feet constantly and get frequent, very bad ear infections, called Otitis (they say it is bacterial and yeast). Does anyone else have really bad problems with their dogs getting recurrent ear infections that are related to allergies? And if so, what has worked best for any type of prevention? His ears don't get too dirty as they are not real big and floppy. We had did a food trial and had switched him over to Eukanuba lamb & rice with no change at all. The allergist wants to do a full panel of allergy tests, but i can'r even imagine how expensive that is. He said he can make up a solution containing a little of what he is allergic to and give it to him like a vaccine-type thing. He said that helps a lot for the dog's allergies. BUT AGAIN, I can't even imagine how expensive these shots are and with the economy the way it is, we are trying to see if there is ANYTHING else we can try first.
    ANY help with this is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Well, I think a lot of time people confuse allergies and intollerances. Less than 5% of dogs are actually allergic to foods...they are intollerant to some foods...not necessarily allergic.
    If they're easily confused, is there a major difference between the symptoms? I mean, wouldn't intolerences be a problem as well as allergies?

(Just curious-- I don't know a whole lot about dog allergies.)

Quote Originally Posted by traininglabs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    If they're easily confused, is there a major difference between the symptoms? I mean, wouldn't intolerences be a problem as well as allergies?

(Just curious-- I don't know a whole lot about dog allergies.)
    They are, but it's not as severe. It's like with us, there are certain foods some people can eat and others that don't "set well." It's not an allergy, like a peanut allergy, but it still causes unwanted symptoms.

From peteducation.com:
    [/quote]There is a distinction that needs to be made between food allergies and food intolerances. Food allergies are true allergies and show the characteristic symptoms of itching and skin problems associated with canine and feline allergies. Food intolerances can result in diarrhea or vomiting and do not create a typical allergic response. Food intolerances in pets would be similar to people that get diarrhea or an upset stomach from eating spicy or fried foods. Fortunately, both food intolerances and allergies can be eliminated with a diet free from offending agents.[/quote]
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1664&aid=143