Maverick has been vomiting and scratching his face and under his paws a lot. Took him to the vet yesterday took xray and gave a check up did not find anything wrong. Seems to have stoped vomiting starting to eat some rice but still scratching any ideas for me.
I hope he feels better soon! Did the vet have any ideas about the itching? Could he have been bitten by something or is he maybe having an allergic reaction to something?
Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence
Do you have any more information. Age, type of food, how long on the food, is he on flea medicine, etc?
he eats iams, i use revolution for the flees heartworm etc he is 8 months old
Being that the vomitting subsided, I would not think the two are related.
I would think the scratching could be:
1) allergic to fleas, even 1 flea can cause some dogs to scratch, but it not usually in the spots you mentioned - so chances of this are low IMO.
2) Allergic to something in his food...I think food allergies can come on gradually. You may want to try a different protein or something made for dogs with allergies....ask around in this forum - there will be tons of recommendations for that. I think, but I am not sure, food allergies sometime manifest itself as itchiness by the paws. Which your dog has.
3) Airborne Allergies. In the NE it is Hay Fever season for another 3 weeks and started about 3 weeks ago. If it is that, you will see the cratching start go go away gardually as the allergen decreases in the environment. There are things you can do to help the dog cope with this, if its really bad. Again, ask around or search and you will find some ideas.
4) Problem with the collar. Does the dog stop sctatching around the nexk when the collar is off
5) OCD - but I HIGHLY doubt it.
My dog had a scratching issues, but in different areas than yours. My vet thought it was food related...I did not agree. I am 90% sure it was single fleas bothering him or something in the air from June -July in the NE. Now he does not scratch at all...io switched form K9 Advatix to Frontline Plus as it is better with fleas and I fogged my house once and sprayed a few times after. The reason I thought it was fleas even the Dr. did not think it was is that I found 1 jump on me in my house...and then a week later I found another 1. The dog, when checked, had none though....
I hope that is a good starting point for you
No advice, but hope he feels better soon.