Vomiting After Eating

Thread: Vomiting After Eating

DefaultVomiting After Eating

Hello, my dog vomited after eating twice in about 14 hours, while on his walk last night and did the same this morning. While on his walk he was frantically trying to eat grass or plants anything green he could get his mouth on, although I did not let him get hold of anything (this was after eating his food). Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Vomiting After Eating

So it sounds like your dog has not held down any food? How long after feeding is your dog throwing up?

I would try giving some pepto or something like that now and then feed a very small meal later and see if the dog can hold it. If it can, stick with very small, but frequent meals throughout the day for 2-3 days. The gradually increase it back to normal over another day or two.

If the dog can not hold anything down by doing this, you should get to the VET ASAP.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would withhold food for 24 hours and let him rest. After 24 hours, feed two bland meals (chicken/rice). If he holds the meal down and seems ok, great. If he is still acting up and/or throws up the bland meal, get to the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would be concerned about withholding food for another 24 hours if it already threw up 2 full meals. If it threw up two full meals then it techinically already has not eaten in 24 hours already. Another 24 hours could stress the dog out. Just my opinion. I would start with a real small meal. Again, my opinion.

We had this problem with Clarence when we first got him. He would throw up after eating breakfast. The vet suggested 24 hours without food, then rice (white, not brown) and hamburger or chicken for a few meals. We did that, Clarence hated the rice but his tummy seemed better. Then the vet said to feed him a small amount at a time, not put the full serving in his dish all at once and to wait a few minutes between small servings. We also got a bottle of doggie Pepto from the vet and give it to Clarence when he's having tummy troubles, before meals. My Wheaten tries to eat grass and leaves when he has a tummy ache--the green stuff makes them throw up, and they know it! I'd take him to the vet if he's not holding food down in the next day or so. Good luck!

Try and give him just a little white rice and boiled chicken. See if he holds that down, if so; give him a little more. Make sure he is drinking water, if not, he could be dehydrating. If he stops eating and keeps throwing up, you need to see a vet ASAP.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would be concerned about withholding food for another 24 hours if it already threw up 2 full meals.* If it threw up two full meals then it techinically already has not eaten in 24 hours already.* Another 24 hours could stress the dog out.* Just my opinion.* I would start with a real small meal.* Again, my opinion.
    The orginal poster said the dog was fed this morning. 24 hours with no food will settle the dogs stomach. They don't want to eat when they feel ill anyway.

my bad, I read it wrong, i thought the dog did not hold any food at all down for two straight meals.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Question - does the dog eat very fast? Sometimes if they eat too fast it comes back up. Try putting a LARGE rock or a hard ball in his dish to slow him down, and see if that helps.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy