Flagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine) for diarrhea/vomiting? UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine) for diarrhea/vomiting? UPDATE

DefaultFlagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine) for diarrhea/vomiting? UPDATE

UPDATE! Hi everyone! Thank you for input and well wishes! I'm happy to report that Henery has been able to keep his meals down for 24 hours now, and is pooping nearly normally! HOORAH!

I decided to wait it out and not give him the Flagyl or the Tagamet and am glad I did. The Flagyl I'll keep on hand for future, and the Tagamet is going to my (human) friend who has acid reflux! LOL!

I guess I jumped the gun a bit by taking him to the vet, but he has never had diarrhea AND vomiting together before, nor has he ever vomited twice in 24 hours... Ah well. Glad my monkey boy isn't hurling anymore!

Eric, yes, Henery eats RAW, and has been for 2-3 weeks now. That was my very first thought as well. Needless to say, the rest of that package of raw is in the trash, and we'll start with a fresh package tomorrow morning.

Hi everyone!

A question... in the past 48 hours, Henry has had a massive poop ending in diarrhea twice (Mon am/Tues am) and vomitted twice (Tues early AM, Tues afternoon).

Our vets gave us Flagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine). Henry's had Flagyl before for diarrhea, no problems, but never with Tagamet (for vomitting). From my pharmacology background, I know that Tagamet can interact with Flagyl, decreasing its clearance from the body.

Is it the same in dogs as it is in humans?

Henry is otherwise fine, running around, eating his bland diet (steamed rice)/drinking normally... would you hold off for another 24 hours and see if he responds without the meds??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Flagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine) for diarrhea and vomiting?

I have flagyl on hand to give my guys if they get the runs for more than one day. It seems to work pretty quick. I've never given the Tagament with it though. You might want to wait and start one of the other in the am and see how he does overnight. I don't like giving anything unless absolutely necessary.

DefaultRe: Flagyl (metronidazole) and Tagamet (cimetidine) for diarrhea and vomiting?

Thanks Sandy!

It wasn't even 100% diarrhea... it started as well formed poop (lots of it), and at the end it was really runny. This morning was the same. If it had just been that, I wouldn't be worried, except he's vomitting too (twice in 24 hours).

I probably should have fasted him all day today but gave in to The Eyes and gave him some steamed rice for breakfast, and a bit more at dinner.

So far, no poops, but no vomitting either since this afternoon... *crosses fingers*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I hope he continues to get better! Maybe something just didn't settle with him. Those little buggers can get into things so fast!

You're tellin' me!! :

Henry's the King of Dietary Indiscretion. Usually he just gets the runs, and if he vomits, it's a one-time deal, never twice. Oh lah, these furkids.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Hope he's feeling better soon. Sami's taken Flagyl several times, but has never taken Tagamet. Our vet always tells me to give Pepcid AC for vomiting (guess it's really for nausea)

Anyway, I hope Henry is 100% very soon!

If Henery is feeling better soon, I may just give the Tagamet to my friend who has acid reflux!! LOL!!!

Poor Henery...were dealing with the ruins right now too It's Fergus's first time with anything like this and it was pretty rough yesterday. Woke us up at 6:00am and it continued on the hour every hour for the rest of the day & night. We gave him a small amount of rice and chicken this morning and he wasn't sick! So we continued feeding him small amounts of it all day...but now there's no poop ???Is this normal??I tell you if it's not one thing it's another with Fergus! We were in contact with the Emergency Vet yesterday & our normal one this morning, but I'm wondering if we should of gone in and got him something like you have for Henery?? Hopefully this bland diet will help and he'll be better soon. He's still his goofy, energetic self so I'm not too worried at this point.

Oh, poor Fergus!!!

I haven't given Henery either med yet... I decided to wait another 24 hours and see how he's doing. He's drinking fine, so I'm not worried about him being dehydrated... if he was really listless/lethargic, I'd give him the meds without a 2nd thought.

How long has Fergus had the runs? About 24 hours? As long as he's drinking okay and otherwise fine, I'd keep with his bland diet.

It'll take some time for Fergus to make poop again, and they're definitely smaller when eating a bland diet!!

Hope he's feeling better soon!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

So we continued feeding him small amounts of it all day...but now there's no poop ???
    Dorry worry...there are no crappy bits in bland food unlike most kibbles so a dog will digest most of what it eats.

My procedure for an ill dog is always the same. I withhold food for 24 hours and feed two bland meals the next day. If the dog holds the meal down and seems alright in every other way, I pass it off as a 24 hour bug. If the dog is still acting up after the 24-48 hour period and/or throws up the bland food, off to the vets we go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast