Glucosamine supplement?

Thread: Glucosamine supplement?

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultGlucosamine supplement?

Trapper (18 months) was diagnosed with HD by our vet, but a second x-ray by an ortho vet showed no HD.* In fact, he was rated borderline excellent!* In between these evaluations we had decided to treat him conservatively and started him on Synovi-G3. He has no symptoms.

My question is do we keep him on the Synovi-G3?* Switch to CosequinDS? Something else?* Stop the supplements completely?

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.* TIA.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Glucosamine supplement?

I would keep him on something just as a prevenative for the future. Whether you use the same stuff or switch I don't have any advice. I give Oona the same stuff I take.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I do the same as Oona's Dad.

Puff gets one Glucosamine & Chondroitin tab a day (COSTCO's Kirkland brand)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't think it matters what brand as long as you give something.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I don't think it matters what brand as long as you give something.
    It does matter when you look at the individual supplements. Because it is not a regulated area, you'll find many supplements that contain far less of the promised ingredients than indicated on the label.

In terms of purity and accuracy, Cosequin was rated the best by Consumer Labs and Kirkland's Glucosamine and chondroitin (sold at Costco) was rated among the best by Consumer Reports.

I (actually Jes) use Cosequin DS, and I've never tried the Synovi. It seems it has a fairly good reputation, but I'm not certain.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp

Now in terms of whether he does or does not have HD, I'd lean towards trusting the ortho vet. They have far more experience reading films. We got a bit of a better report from Jes's ortho vet than the initial diagnosis from his regular vet. It's nothing against his regular vet, but this is a bit out of his normal expertise. Either way, I think I'd continue the supplements even if it is solely for prevention.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I second Nick's response.

These supplements and nutriceuticals have a WIDE variation in potency and effectiveness and are unregulated as to the accuracy of what they print on their label.

Consumer Reports (the monthly magazine of Consumer's Union) has long tested popular brands and found differences ranging from worthless to potent.

I know this from personal experience as well.* As an older male, I use saw palmetto to reduce the number of times I wake up to make a nightly outhouse visit.* Some brands are worthless.* A few are very effective. It is never cost effective to buy a worthless product.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.* I definitely want to keep Trapper on a supplement, and I guess I just need to decide between CosequinDS and SynoviG3.

SynoviG3 has Gluc (450mg ea.), MSM (400mg ea.), Creatine Monohydrate (250mg ea.), Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, plus vitamins and minerals. (Yes, I'm reading the label!* LOL)* Do I need all of that, or will the CosequinDS do the trick as a "preventative?"* My vet said it's better than CosequinDS because of all the other ingredients, and even after seeing the ortho vet's x-ray said to stick with it.

And thanks Nick for the advice on his diagnosis.* I saw both x-rays and swear it was 2 different dogs.* I'd be more concerned if he had any symptoms, but I'm going to follow the advice I got from Sharon, Dani and Linda (raian) to "treat the dog an not the x-ray."* *
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Bob Pr. From what I understand the suppliments that aren't being regulated by the FDA are for animals correct? This is why I talked to the vet and decided to give her the same thing that I take.
    Olie

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Bob Pr. From what I understand the suppliments that aren't being regulated by the FDA are for animals correct? This is why I talked to the vet and decided to give her the same thing that I take.
    Olie
    I'm not Bob, but I think I can answer your question. Glucosamine is a nutraceutical, not a drug. Just like the herbal stuff we humans can take...none of it is regulated by the FDA. From what I've read, some of the products for animals appear to be the worst violators in terms of what's on the label and what's actually in the pill. I guess they figure they can take advantage of a dog's inability to tell us if it's working or not. Having said that, there are still good supplements formulated for animals (I say formulated, but glucosamine is glucosamine) and there are crappy supplements marketed to humans.