Hopping back on the rollercoaster

Thread: Hopping back on the rollercoaster

Suegene is offline Senior Member

DefaultHopping back on the rollercoaster

Cooper is on his second 20 lb bag of Purina Pro Plan Select Turkey formula - and 3 days after having his overly full anal glands expressed, he was scootching again.* In looking at the ingredients, I see that there is chicken fat in it.....chicken has always seemed, to me, to be one of his worst triggers.

So back on the rollercoaster we go.* I bought some prunes today for him.* I am thinking will give him one or two a day (somewhere I read where this can help).* He wasnt sure about the first one, but am sure they will be come a favorite.* Especially if chopped and mixed IN the kibblers.

Prior to this he had been on PPP Sensitive Skin - the fish one.* He had bad breath from it.* And before that, the fish based food from Premium Edge.*

I had thought about trying Eagle again - but alot of their different formulas have chicken fat in them.

Has anyone tried this food???

http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1305

With edit - I am also considering going back to a fish based food, perhaps the natural balance or the eagle one. At this point - I would like to stay away from duck or venison - I hate to use up all the proteins.

Any ideas out there????* HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hopping back on the rollercoaster

If you don't want the chicken fat look into the Solid Gold foods.

everydog is offline Senior Member

I have used the Nature's Variety formulas and liked them just fine.

I'm not sure I'd buy into the chicken fat problem, since allergies are tied to proteins, not fats. It does sound like there was something going on with the turkey formula though...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Never heard of that food before but looks like the Lamb is the only one without
    some type of chicken in it. I say go for it. All you can do is try and see how he does
    on it. Either that or try the Eagle. But you have to drive far for that if I remember
    correctly??

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We put Shadow on Solid Gold Wolf King, with Missing Link Plus added every morning.* Her coat has filled in totally (remember the bare spots on her flanks?) and no more ear infections.* She get a scant cup of kibble, morning and night, with three teaspoons of the Missing Link with her breakfast.* The medium-size bag (15 pounds?) of kibble lasts us a good four weeks. Shadow's breath is sweet, never bad or fishy.

ingredients of Wolf King:
    Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

ingredients of Missing Link Plus:
    FLAX SEED, GLUCOSAMINE, BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, FREEZE DRIED LIVER, RICE BRAN, PRIMARY DRIED YEAST, SUNFLOWER SEED, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA, DRIED CARROT, FREEZE DRIED BONE, DRIED FISH MEAL, FREEZE DRIED OYSTER, SPROUTED GREEN BARLEY, DRIED KELP, LECITHIN, GARLIC AND YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Suegene is offline Senior Member

That is looking like a very interesting combo. Where do you get Solid Gold - is it something that Petsfart, Petco or PetsSuppliesplus sells???? I don't mind mail ordering the missing link, but would rather not mail order the chow :

Yes I do remember her being a bit patchy - that is amazing!!

Hi~ My labs name is Cooper also ;D He has some GI issues so after messing around with numerous foods I ended up on the fish and sweet potato from natural balance. I also throw in some pumpkin ( great for the runs or constipation.. it helps both) and string beans( more fiber). I also add a probiotic I ordered off a web site that has all the good bacteria in it. He is doing great now! No more Gi issues.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I get the Solid Gold at a local pet supply place, but I think most of the bigger chains (PetSmart, etc.) carry it. The Missing Link Plus I order online for way less than the stores sell it! I get the five pound bag and keep it in the freezer, putting about a month's worth in a Tupperware-type container at a time.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy