filling out

Thread: filling out

Charliesmom is offline Member

Defaultfilling out

Hi,
    People comment constantly on how lean Charlie looks and how tall he looks. He's 23" at the shoulder and 70-72 lbs. He's 21.5 weeks old. I've seen older labs that have filled out but when does this happen? He's lean but very muscular. His muscles can be seen bulging when he's pulling on something (stick, tree branch???) or running. I know his weight is fine, but when do they get their "adult look"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: filling out

Depending on what lines he comes from - bench or field - he may not fill out. Even within bench lines dogs mature at different ages. Typically they look 'adult' at about 2 years old but many really don't look their best until 3 or 4. Look at the parents - that will give you a clue as to how he will be as an adult (2+ years).

My Sammie is filling out just a little bit more this year....he turned 2 yrs old 3 months ago. I've heard they are fully mature by three. Lean is healthier though so enjoy the compliments your boy is getting!

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Sammie's Mom. When you look at him from the side can you see more than the last rib? If not he is probably ok.
    Olie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

There is some thought that dogs nuetered early never develop that "adult" look. You dog may get full grown and weigh 70-80#, but will still retain a puppy-like appearance due to not allowing them to keep the organs that produce the hormones that develop a young dog into a fully mature-bodied male lab.

everydog is offline Senior Member

"He's 21.5 weeks old."

23 inches at the shoulder and 70 pounds at 5 months old is just too huge for me to comprehend. Is he 21.5 months old, perhaps???

Trickster is offline Senior Member

"He's 21.5 weeks old."

23 inches at the shoulder and 70 pounds at 5 months old is just too huge for me to comprehend. Is he 21.5 months old, perhaps???
    That's what I thought. I can't imagine a 21 week old puppy being that big...bigger than all my adult dogs.*

As for the question, my dogs really began to fill out at around 2 years old. One of my boys, Joker, looks like a different dog when I compare pictures of him at 12 months with pictures at 2 years.

Others have rightly pointing out that 'filling out' depends a lot on the dogs lines. A field type dog will never look as chunky as a show type dog.