OCD...should I get a 2nd opinion?

Thread: OCD...should I get a 2nd opinion?

DefaultOCD...should I get a 2nd opinion?

1st time to "just labradors"...got some pretty bad news today. My baby Oscar (8 month old yellow lab) has been limping for 2 weeks now and it got really bad today so we took him to the vet. Long story short, he may have the developmental bone disorder called OCD. It may resolve on its own or we may have to resort to surgery in the future. Oscar is 82 lbs...a bit on the "big boy" side for being almost 8 mos old. Thinking maybe he just grew too fast. Wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion or just trust our vet, who has seen Oscar since 8 wks old. She prescribed Ace to sedate him until the X-rays are reviewed by an orthopedic surgeon. Sounds pretty serious. But, who's to say it isn't just a sprain? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OCD...should I get a 2nd opinion?

Is he always limping on the same leg? How long have you noticed it? It is quite possible, but since he is so young I would definately get a 2nd opinion. It could also be PANO which is basically growing pains. PANO tends to be in the front legs, but will often move from one to the other. My female lab was diagnosed with PANO and by the time she was 1yr old she had outgrown it. I would definately ask about it. You can google it on the web and get add'l info.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I would definitely get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Most OCD shows up around 4 to 5 months, so hopefully it is something else. Wait until the orthopod sees it first.
    It will not self correct if it is OCD (well, it will, but the joint mice will cause some pretty good arthritis before they reabsorb).
    IF it is, the surgery is quite simple and the rehab is quick. Don't fret too much...there is much worse that could happen to him
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

blaisberg is offline Member

First, if you suspect your dog is overweight, he probably is.* With all the orthopedic problems that Labs are prone to, it's best to get the weight off now and keep it off.* One of my labs has had two ACL surgeries, and the other has OCD.*

We have an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed Charlie's OCD, but he said that the best success for surgery is before the dog is a year old, so don't delay in getting a proper diagnosis (Charlie was 2 when we got him).*

If the diagnosis is OCD after the orthovet sees the xrays, you might want to join the Orthodogs group on yahoo, where folks go to discuss orthopedic problems and all sorts of treatment options, including conservative management (no surgery). I highly recommend joining and using the group to discuss options before you make a decision. And it's a great support group!

Good luck.
    Jocelyn

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would take the dog to the ortho vet and talk to them instead of having them just review the xrays your vet took. When Maddy was diagnosed with FCP (which is when a part of the bone breaks off in the elbow), we ended up taking her and the xrays to the recommended ortho vet who ended up taking his own xrays because he knows exactly how to put the dog to see if it's the problem he thinks it is. You might as well establish that relationship now.

OCD, if I remember right, is when the cartilage flaps up a bit instead of being nice and tight in the joint. If that's what it is, chances are you are going to want to do the surgery because usually any of these joint disorders will cause alot of damage in the joint which will make arthritis especially bad.

Good luck though. It's definately treatable although I know we all hate to see our dogs have surgery.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I agree with what everybody else said, take your dog to an ortho vet. I'm not sure about sedating him wiith ACE (?). I maybe would do more crate rest and not let him jump/run instead of taking sedating pills.

Thanks everyone! Vet called yesterday with news from the ortho surgeon. He says that it is 100% OCD and with the size of it that he saw on the x-ray, surgery is pretty much the only option. So little Oscar will have a consultation early next week and then go under the knife ASAP. They are going to do both shoulders, even though the x-ray showed the left side as the affected one, and he is having symptoms on the RIGHT side. Weird. But its best to do both now instead of waiting. So...$3000 later....yikes. Anyone know of this "carecard" that is like a credit card for pet medical care? I will definitely go to that yahoo site..thank you!
    Baby Oscar appreciates all the info too!!!!
    I'm trying to get his picture up but it keeps saying that all my photos are too big. Any advice?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We got that CareCredit card when we had to spend $6K on Hudler's 2 TPLO's. Just make sure you read the fine print, because for us, we had to pay it off in 6 months (no interest) or else they would heap all the interest back on at the end of the term.