Are there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

Thread: Are there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

DefaultAre there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

Henery had a bad bout of them about 2 years ago around this time. Last year he got off fairly easy, but this year it looks like it's going to be bad again.

He licks and chews his front and rear legs, 2 years ago he did it so much that he was bald in spots.

I'd rather not have to put him on VanectylP (prednisone) again.

Are there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

Thanks, in advance! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Are there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

try doing what they recommend for humans.

1) stay indoors more often during the peak season
    2) Get a great air filter if you have central air
    3) Get an air purifier or 2 or 3....
    4) Maybe wash the dog down with water before coming inside

just some thoughts...

DefaultRe: Are there holistic/alternative ways to treat environmental allergies?

Azmira makes holistic formulas for environmental allergies and they have a herbal antihistamine and herbal "steroid" substitute.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Yes, yes, yes! There are lots of things you can do holistically for allergies. Is there a holistic vet in your area? I have recently taken my dogs to a holistic vet and I'm thrilled with the results.

One easy thing you can do is to make sure your dog is getting probiotics - either in tablet form or by feeding a few tablespoons of yogurt a day. I have seen great improvement with my dogs since starting probiotic therapy. It sounds unconnected to skin allergies, I know, but it's not.

Also, make sure you are feeding a food that doesn't contain wheat, corn, or soy - very common allergens.

I have been doing a bit of reading on this. Some goodly folks speak of these allergies in the terms of a decreased immune system or one out of wack. I think most people who have lived with this can get behind that notion...something has got to be out of wack.

Now, on my radar is looking into the use of Echinacea purpurea or Purple Cone Flower which is meant to assist in the correction of the immune system. Has anyone you know tried it?

Currently, I am reading Randy Kidd, DVM, Ph.D. Many people who write or talk about this topic just creep me out cause they are too careless. Not this guy. His Ph.D. is in pathology, he insists people learn and use the Latin names of herbs, he talks about proper dosages and side effects and he can and does say when folks should bit the bullet and go to mainstream medicine.

And, this is what really impressed me for no good reason, he acknowledged that airborne allergies are some of the biggest nastiest headaches and heartbreaks a dog owner and their vet can have. This really does not help much but it made me feel better.

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

With food allergies you can always avoid the allergen, but it's hard to avoid the environment.

In humans, allergy shots can help desensitize the immune response, but I don't know how effective they are in dogs and that doesn't fall under your holistic approach. Environmental allergies are tough to deal with...there just aren't a lot of fail-safe treatments. There just aren't any easy ways to get the body to stop overreacting to certain proteins/allergens.

Currently, I am reading Randy Kidd, DVM, Ph.D. Many people who write or talk about this topic just creep me out cause they are too careless. Not this guy. His Ph.D. is in pathology, he insists people learn and use the Latin names of herbs, he talks about proper dosages and side effects and he can and does say when folks should bit the bullet and go to mainstream medicine.
    That's interesting, I may have to check that book out. I really believe that it's not an "either/or" situation when it comes to traditional v. holistic medicine. Each has its uses and benefits, and neither works all the time.

I know some approaches, like labsrme mentioned, focus on calming the immune system down, and if your dog has mild food allergens, removing those can sometimes help reduce environmental allergies. There's a real problem in that there are a ton of suggested herbal remedies, and very few of them have been studied for efficacy and safety. This is where it sounds like I agree with Dr. Kidd in that you should make sure and research the herb...very few are perfectly okay to give at any dose, and you come across stuff like that quite frequently on online communities.

In humans, allergy shots can help desensitize the immune response, but I don't know how effective they are in dogs
    They can be very effective for dogs just like humans; however, it all depends on the expertise of the vet I would imagine.

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Riley is having a REALLY bad year this year. She had a course of homeopathic desensitisation shots, after having a blood test to identify her allergens, which she finished last summer. She didnt seem to show any sign of improvement, but I guess she didnt get any worse until the beginning of this summer, when she has made her self bald over large areas of her body and scratched herself raw on occasions. I believe it is quite common to have to give the shots twice.
    That's interesting, I may have to check that book out.* I really believe that it's not an "either/or" situation when it comes to traditional v. holistic medicine.* Each has its uses and benefits, and neither works all the time.
    I agree.

I also do not want to go the steroid route and want to try echinaea. Riley has Leishmaniasis, which she also being treated for, and is another reason why I want to boost her immune system as much as I can. I truly believe that if only I could provide home cooked food for her I could do her a* lot of good, but budget and the fact that for 6 months of the year, in our summer season, it becomes impossible timewise.( My freezer isnt big enough to cook a summers worth and freeze it, and in any case my budget will not allow it... meat is very expensive here.) So I have selected a kibble containing the least of her liisted allergens .
    There is a school of thought that stress and vaccinosis can be the trigger for allergies. I have to say that in Riley's case I believe this may well be the culprit. Riley was very stressed after a long transatantic journey from the States to Greece and after having had a full set of shots just before she left at 18 months old.
    We are very short on good vets here so I rely a lot on information drawn from this site. I shall follow the thread anxiously in the hope that someone comes up with some good info.
    Good luck to us all, allergies suck!
    edited for typos
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Bumping.

I have had oil of evening primrose recommeneded to me, to help with skin iissues.. has anyone else tried it?

Also recommended (by a vet) Head and Shoulders shampoo, because of the zinc (sulphide?) content, to help prevent her sebacious problem. Again, any comments anyone?
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Bumping again...

I had this concoction recommended to me by a homeopath (? is that what they're called??):

1/4 cup aloe juice
    3/4 cup witch hazel
    few drops tea tree oil

Mix, keep in fridge and spritz several times a day to take the itch away.

Our vets said that ragweed has been just awful this year and lots of dogs are chewing and licking their feets.