Switching Protiens??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching Protiens??

DefaultSwitching Protiens??

Fergus is currently eating Eagle Pack. He was on the Puppy Formula until he was one and then we went with the Chicken Formula when we made the switch to Adult food earlier this summer. I just went out to buy him another bag and the lady and the store said that you should switch your dogs proteins. Eagle Pack has Chicken, Rice , Duck & Fish Formulas and she suggested we switch it out so he isn't always getting the same protein. Does anyone else do this or have you heard about doing this??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Switching Protiens??

I have heard both actually.
    ~Lindsay

I have heard this as well, but in all honesty, I would think less than 5% of dog owners rotate proteins. Most stick to what is working...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I personally do not like to switch proteins. If the dog should develop a sensitivity later on, I've just messed it up so I can't use that protein since its already been exposed it.

Laura

I keep mine on what is working!

I've heard not to switch proteins, like Laura said, in case your dog develops a food-based allergy later on in life. If he/she has already eaten chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, duck, fish it certainly limits the number of "novel" proteins he/she hasn't been exposed to, which you'll need for an elimination diet.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

My holistic vet suggests rotating proteins - just like people do. Think about it - could it possibly be healthy for you if you ate the same chicken and rice for every meal of your life? Lots of current research is suggesting that by feeding only one protein source you increase the chance of your dog developing an allergy to it - so switching proteins could actually be more beneficial for allergic dogs.

Many holistic vets think that lots of "allergies" in dogs are actually long term nutritional deficiencies and intestinal irritation due to overfeeding of grains. Do some internet reading on "leaky gut syndrome" in dogs. Interesting stuff.

Thank you all for your responses! I hadn't really heard of doing that before, so I was just curious to what the rest of you thought. The women I had talked to basically said the same thing as Labsrme...it's definitely something I'm going to look into further.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Lots of current research is suggesting that by feeding only one protein source you increase the chance of your dog developing an allergy to it - so switching proteins could actually be more beneficial for allergic dogs
    Bang on. It also causes IBS and leaky gut with the subsequent build-up of toxins. Variety is the spice of life!!!
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

In my case with Lya...I feel that as long as I do not give her a protein that she is already allergic to, I and she do not have much to loose and maybe a lot to gain by keeping variety in her diet.

I totally respect the notion of not to switch as then if your dog does develop allergies you have a novel protein to use, however our horse is already out of the barn and was running free prior to Lya coming to stay with us. For folks with a puppy, they still might think to switch but keep it in the mainstream...beef, turkey, lamb, chicken...so that if allergies do crop up they still have the "novel" proteins.

At this point, after a few failures dietwise on the part of traditional medicine...I feel that we are in waters where traditional medicine has yet to gain all the answers and thus am willing to keep an ear to alternative ideologies.

To be straight about it...my little friend is on borrowed time...if it was not for the extensive medical and nutritional help she has received she would not be living. And I feel that the 40% of her success has come from "holistic" recommendations I have gotten from this board. I say only 40% as I do not know how well those allergy shots are going to work yet.

Morgan with Lya the Not So Itchy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast