1st vet appt when??

Thread: 1st vet appt when??

Default1st vet appt when??

Hi all,

Well Gannon is officially 7 weeks old today. We have had him for 5 days, when does he need to see the vet for the first time? I noticed a flea yesterday, I use advantage on my cats same for dogs? Also he was bred by our 2nd cousin, I guess that would be called a byb, they love their dogs but they do treat them like dogs not part of the family, they are outside all the time on their 3 acres, fed whatever is cheapest etc...So I can't go to them for advice. They said they give the dogs shots themselves, from the feed store??

Now in reading and learning about breeding/temperments I am so glad we got so lucky with Gannon. So far he seems to learn very quickly and he is very sweet he barely nips but he is a licker, and despite her living conditions his mother is very well behaved very sweet and gentle and oh so smart. But we know nothing about the father except his name from the AKC papers

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 1st vet appt when??

I'd take him in right away for a puppy general checkup. And so you can check out the vet before your pup actually has a problem. (Better to know you don't like the vet and find a new one when you aren't worried sick because your pup is having a health issue)

Usually there is a shot they give around 8 weeks but if you are unsure what the vaccination history is... I would call up a vet now and ask when you can get in so they can evaluate.
    ~Lindsay

Do you know if the pup has had any vaccinations as yet? If not, around 8 weeks would be time for the first series (there are 3 in all). I would call the vet and talk to them first - find out a bit more about them, what their vaccination protocal is (hopefull not to over vaccinate!), etc. Also carry your puppy into the vet office. Don't put him down anywhere and make sure they have disinfected the examining table before you put him down on it. Your pup may need to be wormed also - doesn't sound like your cousins would have done that....

best of luck with him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

They did give him a 1st shot (at 6 weeks), I am not sure on the de-wormer I will have to call and ask if they did that..

Our next door neighbor is a Vet and comes highly reccommended by our neighbors, plus her clinic is only 3 blocks away! She is hardly ever home though so impossible to ask her anything out of the office..

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Our puppy will have had her first set of vaccines at 6 weeks.. so when are the next set/series due???
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

They are suppose to be every 4 weeks...so 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Fergus had his first ones done at 7 weeks so we just went 4 weeks after that (7 weeks, 11 weeks & 15 weeks). I'm sure your Vet will know best!

labby is offline Senior Member

I give vaccines 6, 8, 11, 14, and 20 weeks. That last one at 20 weeks is the most important.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Most breeders insist that you take puppy to the vets within the first few days to get a general base-line on their health for their guarantee-purposes. At that time, you turn in the shots/vaccination records and get the following appointments all set up.