What is Raw Oat Bran and...something must be working...

Thread: What is Raw Oat Bran and...something must be working...

DefaultWhat is Raw Oat Bran and...something must be working...

:Purple stuff, good bugs from yogurt, allergy shots, benadryl, fish oil, or all of the above...something must be helping cause life is a little less hellish as of late. I have slept through the night now for two nights in a row, only had to give one bath this week and have only have to give her benadryl twice a day.

Whew! But you all cannot stop praying for an early cold Winter in Michigan cause we are not out of the woods yet. Besides you will be out nothing should you live in Florida or Hawaii. :-*

So now once again on the anal gland thing....what exactly is raw oat bran? Is it related at all to wheat or corn or any of the other evil things that are on the I Might Make You Itch list?

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya The Not So Itchy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What is Raw Oat Bran and...something must be working...

Oat bran adds fiber to the diet.* You can buy it at most health food stores.*

I used to sometimes buy it to add 1-2 TSBs to Puff's meals to increase firmness in her stools.

I'm not aware of any general itchiness potential.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks, oh an Bob, you do not have pray for a early cold Winter. You live in Kansas and your Winters are hard enough, and I am comparing them to Michigan

Morgan with Lya the Getting Better Itchies

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JP

Oat bran is just the envelope or outer casing of the oat groat, therefore high in fibre. Oats are a cereal like wheat or barley but, to my knowledge, are less likely to be an allergen than the two you mentioned. As Bob mentioned, oat bran is often used to keep the intestine well flushed out and to firm stools.