Nail clipping question!

Thread: Nail clipping question!

DefaultNail clipping question!

Vitos* nails are long -too long. We had them clipped at the vet a couple of months ago, but he had to be sedated as he HATES it. Now they weren't cut too short, and since then I have been trying, really I have, to file them down, one nail every other night or so as I cannot get the clippers near him AT ALL. But am not having much success. I think they are too long so even having them filed bothers him.

His excercise is mostly long walks down by the canal, or runs in the field, so the nails dont really get a chance to wear down. I'm not keen to have him sedated everytime he has to have them trimmed, but I do know they need to be cut soon.
    I will go back to the vet this week, and ask that he do them |(again ) under sedation BUT is there anyway they can be cut shorter so that they dont get so long again? With a concerted effort on my part to get him walking on more road or something, to keep them down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nail clipping question!

How old is Vito?

It sounds like he needs to be desensitized before actually attempting to cut, file, or grind anything. Start in very small steps. Fr example:

The first step is to get him used to having his feet handled.
    Touch a front paw, give him praise and a treat.
    Touch both front paws, give him praise and a treat.
    Touch 3 paws, give him praise and a treat.
    Touch all 4 paws, give him praise and a treat.
    Pick up a front paw, give him praise and a treat (continue picking up each paw until you can handle each one)
    Pick up a front paw and touch a toe (continue picking up each paw and touching toes until you can handle each one)

You do not move to touching the 2nd paw or 3rd paw until he is comfortable with the previous step. It's giong to be very time consuming and it needs to occur daily in order to desensitize him.

Once you can handle every paw and toe, you start by clipping one toe (only 1) praise and treat. The next time you can try 2 toes, praise and treat. Keeping adding until you can do all 4 paws all toes.

The Great Dane Lady's website has info detailing how to desensitize a dog to the dremel. http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

I think the dremel is much less dramatic for the dog but they need to be desensitized to both the sound and vibration. Essy has always had her nails dremmeled since she was a puppy. She sees me get the dremel out and she immediately lays down for me to do her nails. Murray had never seen a dremel before (he's a rescue) and was very anxious at first. Now he gets all excited and dances around whenever he sees the dremel. He refuses to lay down though. He wants his nails done while standing. : Since he is good about standing quietly, that's what I let him do.

I agree with rottnlabs. Desensitize him to having the paws touch and handled and his toes manipulated.
    I just started using a dremel to do both the dog's nails. It took lots of treats to get them used to the noise. Still can't do all of Mischa's nails in one sitting, but getting there.
    Here is another great site for the dremel : http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for suggestions - I have tried de sensitizing, handling his paws etc.Lots of treats, praise . Vito is 4 by the way! He doesnt mind a toe massage, I can touch his feet, but once he gets a whiff of the nail clippers - thats it. Maybe I should blindfold him !! ;D

The first two years were ok - didn't actually need to cut the nails as he wore them down, but we moved area (bit more rural) and most of his excercise is on grass It is becoming a bit of a headache.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

since you have already desensitized your dog to having his paws handled, you must work on desensitizing your dog to having his paws handled with the nail clippers involved in the same way.

we also use the dremel tool for nail trimmings.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Thanks everyone from me too. Wriggley has sensitive paws also. I can now handle his paws fine but it's another story when the clippers come out.

I lapsed with the "daily" part of the desensitization (sp?). Back at it again now- he's not thrilled despite the treats. All of these recent nail posts have me taking notice of Wriggley's front claws, er, I mean paws!