Ticks

Thread: Ticks

DefaultTicks

I have checked for ticks because we were in the woods Sat and Sun. with the dog. But curious to know if I am doing it right. I started at the head feeling and looking for little bumps/ lumps and watching to see if I see anything . Working my way to tail and legs. Then took him for his bath I did it again while he was wet. My dog is jet black and seems to be very thick fur so it is hard to see very well. Anyone ever find a tick on their black dog? Mind you this is difficult when the dog is a 7 month old puppy and wants to wrestle with you the whole time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ticks

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs, dob: 8-'01) runs daily in woods and fields where there are ample ticks but she never gets them (she's on Frontline Plus & Interceptor).* I occasionally get one or two and many others report getting ticks on their dogs or themselves when they go through the same area.

While ticks could attach anywhere, I would check first the areas with less fur -- stomach and chest, leg pits, under ears, etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I found two on Sami in one sitting : Both were on her thighs, but in the hind part. I found them solely by feeling them. These were two different kinds, but neither were deer ticks. I'm not sure if I could even feel a deer tick ~ they are so stinkin' small.

Bob Pr -- I'd be interested in knowing how often you apply the Frontline. I really do try to decrease the toxins I put in and on my dog -- and once let Frontline go 5 weeks. That's when I found the ticks. I've switched to K9 Advantix, and haven't found any more ticks. BUT I've also applied every 30 - 35 days. I'm afraid to go any longer because we're in the woods nearly every day and I live in a very tick infested area. By the way, the two ticks I discovered -- they were in February :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Apparently, vets in Canada don't sell FrontLine yet.... We're going to an area with ticks next weekend, and the vet gave us Revolution (topical application)... But I will DEFINITELY check her a few times a day!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

It is my understanding that Revolution is not effective against all types of ticks. If anyone knows any different please let me know. Also my Mom sent this to me about tick removal. Don't know if it works cause I havn't tried it yet.

Easy tick removal

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share. I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great , because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20),the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.
    Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for that technique Labs4me... we can definitely do that if we find a tick!

Yes, we were told that Revolution isn't effective on all ticks, however, its the only topical tick preventative that the vet carries... apparently Frontline isn't for sale in our province, or perhaps Canada, although we are going to check into it. From what I understand, the ticks in our province are repelled. That said, we will be very viligent to check CoCo over, and now we have a treatment if we do find a tick! Thanks!
    ~Jo & CoCo