Acepromazine...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acepromazine...

DefaultAcepromazine...

For our upcoming move to NC, I asked the vet for some sort of sedative for Sawyer - he gets really anxious in the car. The vet prescribed Ace - 2-3 tablets to start, then more after 6 hours if needed.

We had an open house today and had to be gone for 4 hours. We went to my BIL's house so I gave Sawyer ONE so that (1) we could see how the Ace would affect him on our trip and (2) to keep him somewhat calm around so many people.

The poor boy has been so glassy-eyed and out of it today. I can only imagine how he'd be if I'd given him 3! Holy cow! We'd have had to carry him!

I just read that Ace should last ~6-8 hours, but here we are 9 hours later and he's still stoned. Should we call the vet??

I feel so bad. :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Acepromazine...

Don't feel bad, I think that's a good idea to see how it affects him. Now you know he probably doesn't need all 3.

I'd call the vet if you're worried, but if he's normal (minus being a bit sedated), I'd say the medicine is just doing its job. Like all drugs, and with us too, each animal metabolizes it differently. Now if he's not back to normal tomorrow, then I'd be concerned. As always, though, if you're concerned call your vet. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to get a professional opinion.

Thanks Nick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

I got some to give to Riley when we were going on a trip once and the vet had me give 1 as a test before we went so we could see how he did...1 was plenty and Riley is a big boy..at that time he was just over 100 pounds...He was groggy/quiet for most of the day.

Ok...thanks Debbie. I feel better after reading yours and Nick's replies.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

In addition to the 2 excellent pieces of advice you've been given, SOME meds have a more profound effect the first few times they're given while OTHERS take increasing effect with continued daily use.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I'm not sure I understand Bob, Ace? For continued daily use?

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I was given a Ace for Huckle after a very painful tooth extraction. He had a severe anxiety reaction after it and despite high doses of pain medications he still was "wired" and crying 24 hours later. We had to leave him at the ER vet and while he was there they gave him ACE and discharged him with a script. I was told the same thing as you where 2-3 tabs as needed. So I gave him two and he fell asleep right away. When I went to get him up to go potty I couldn't even wake him up. His respirations where only about one evey 20 seconds. I thought for sure I had killed him. I was never so scared in all my life. I had to shake the heck out of him to even get him to open his eyes.

It did wear off in about 10 hours. For anyone else reading this, start low on this medication.

Ace has also been known to cause head tremors in dogs. A previous member of this forum had that experience.

Oh no! :-\

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast