Who feeds Kirkland C&R? (X-posted to Lab Chat)

Thread: Who feeds Kirkland C&R? (X-posted to Lab Chat)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho feeds Kirkland C&R? (X-posted to Lab Chat)

Who else feeds Kirkland C&R?* (Kirkland is sold only at COSTCO warehouse club stores, $15/40 lbs. bag; it's made by the same company that makes Diamond, Chicken Soup, and several other brands.)

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs, dob: 8-'01) has been eating Kirkland L&R or more recently the C&R formula for about 4 years.

For some time, her stools were firm and easy to pick up.* The last maybe 3-6 months they've gotten softer and mushier -- the consistency of mashed potatoes when a little too* much milk has been added.

It's bothersome because I always immediately pick up her poop in plastic bags when it's on our or neighbors' lawns and any park areas where people walk or play.* And sometimes it's impossible to get all the soft stuff.

I thought at first it might be Giardia but she's been tested for that and it was negative.

Now I'm wondering if Diamond/Costco has changed the formula in some way.

Anyone else having this soft stool problem?* Otherwise, Puff seems to be in good physical health and with energy.

Or any other suggestions as to possible cause?*

Puff's a very active, well exercised Lab and she eats 2½ cups/day of the food which has 362 kcals/cup.* Its first 10 ingredients are:* chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat, egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed....* At the same time (recently) I had her tested for Giardia, they also did a fecal float for parasites on the specimens I brought which were produced on two adjoining days.

She gets minimum treats -- sometimes a few cashews when I'm eating mixed nuts and also half* a cup of vanilla softserve from Sam's* when I go there maybe 3X/week.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Who feeds Kirkland C&R? (X-posted to Lab Chat)

I don't feed it, but since you haven't had any responses, I thought I'd offer up an idea. Why don't you add some canned pumpkin or even Metamucil to her diet for about a week, until her stools are consistently firm again. Then stop and leave off all treats (cashews and ice cream included). If they return to being soft, you'll pretty much know it's the food! Just a thought!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with ThatsMyGirl. I would definitely cut out the ice cream...3 times a week is a bit much IMO and I can't imagine the dairy products will do her any good.

You have probably already done so but you could try ringing the company to see if they have changed the formula.

The heat could also be a factor especially if she is running around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks.

A number of people on Lab Chat made the same suggestion to this same post there -- cut out the ice cream -- and we'll try that.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Charlie has been eating Kirkland C&R for 3 years or so. His stools have always been like that but I chalked it up to the fact that he also likes to eat peaches and avocados off our trees. Maybe his dogfood is also contributing. Why did you switch from L&R?

I switched from Kirkland's L&R to its C&R when they changed formulas and I thought there were too many rice and rice components in the first 10 ingredients.