tramadol

Thread: tramadol

Charliesmom is offline Member

Questiontramadol

Hi,
    If anyone has been reading the elbow dysplasia thread you will know that my 4 year old yellow has been diagnosed with ed. He has been prescribed 100mg tramadol when limping. He won't limp in front of other dogs and minimizes the limp outside so I have to go by how he is with me. The problem is I swear it's like giving him skittles. Does anyone else have any experience with this drug? I know the vet has to be careful what she gives him b/c of his colitis-like condition but I hate to see him limping heavily and favouring a leg. Perhaps on Mon I'll phone and let them know that I don't think it's working when I give it to him. Maybe he should be getting one every morning?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

No experience with dogs, but that is what I take for my back pain. I was on 100mg a day and the doctor upped it to 200mg yesterday

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Caleb was prescribed tramadol for the same problem if he got particularly sore (he was also on Rimadyl). The ortho vet suggested up to two 100mg three times a day for a 90 lb. lab. At that dose it certainly helped but when I tried just one I didn't notice any change at all...so maybe a dosage adjustment would help. Good Luck...isn't it hard to watch? Luckily Caleb was 10 before he really needed anything for pain...a young dog is just so sad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Charliesmom is offline Member

Question

Thanks for your responses. I did end up phoning the vet. I can't give it any more than every 8 hours. The problem is she's seen him out walking and he doesn't or hardly limps. At home he'll limp heavily. We're not sure if he's playing it up at home for attention or what. She reminded me to give him the painkiller [B]before[B] activity not after he's already in pain. I reminded her that'll be every day then b/c he loves his outdoor time esp. if he gets to be off leash. So, while I'm off work he'll get one with breakfast and supper. Once I'm back to work, the big walk is at night so I guess one with an early supper.
    Has anyone else had experiences like this where at home a dog shows pain but outside appears normal?

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

They can be smart like that...and get the extra attention. I doubt he's painfree but if he was in serious pain I can't imagine he could mask it that well. My grandparents had a German Shorthair that injured his paw as a puppy...nothing serious...but to the day he died if you asked him how his paw was, he'd hold it up, yowl...and walk away with the worst limp you ever saw. Some dogs are great actors!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Have you considered using Lubrysin for his pain. You may very well not need the Tramadol once the Lubrysin kicks in.

I know many people getting great results with hit. Call the company about double dosing initially.

http://www.lubrisynca.com/