Info. on sign's of heat cycle starting!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info. on sign's of heat cycle starting!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultInfo. on sign's of heat cycle starting!

initally put this in lab chat, but maybe this is more approbriate. Really would like any insight anyone might have- IHave Sammi schd. to be spayed in 4 day's, couple of day's ago noticed she is very swollen in the vulva area. I'm pretty new at this but worried this may be a sign that she is going into heat....., if so I will put off having her spayed, and let her go thru her first heat. Know some feel this is a good idea anyway. Just wasn't sure I wanted to put her or myself through it. Do you think I'm correct about her going into heat?? Your thought's are greatly appreciated. Thank's- Sammi's mom- Diana

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Info. on sign's of heat cycle starting!

If she is swollen she is probably going into heat. You should notice blood soon but it may be a week.

Quote Originally Posted by FieldLabLover
    If she is swollen she is probably going into heat. You should notice blood soon but it may be a week.
    I agree, the other symptoms Lizzie had just before her first heat were.. excessive cleaning around this area, sighing and whinging alot.. how old is she?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I did notice Mocha being swollen down there about a week before she started bleeding too. I would say wait for the spay just be safe.

Di

she is 6 1/2 months, but no doubt now, the bleeding started last night. So now she is in protective custody ;D. She seem's pretty quite, I assume that is normal. But makes it a little easier since there will be no walk's at the doggy park or river. Thank's for the info.Have heard that bleeding usually last around 1-2wk's. and another 1-2 wk's, befor she might be all the way done. Does this sound right?

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Most heats are around three weeks long. Watch her carefully for longer, just to be sure. It's best not to spay her too soon after a heat. My vet recommends waiting at least two months after the heat is over before spaying. If she were mine I'd probably give her three months, just to try to time the surgery for mid-cycle.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    she is 6 1/2 months, but no doubt now, the bleeding started last night. So now she is in protective custody ;D. She seem's pretty quite, I assume that is normal. But makes it a little easier since there will be no walk's at the doggy park or river. Thank's for the info.Have heard that bleeding usually last around 1-2wk's. and another 1-2 wk's, befor she might be all the way done. Does this sound right?
    Their heat cycle generally lasts 21 days, but to be on the safe side, I think it's recommended that you keep them under lock & key for a month

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace's heat lasted exactly 21 days from the first day we saw blood to the day that our male lost interest in her and we could let her go without pants...

Di

Thank's again for all the great info., luckily Sammi doesn't seem to mind the pants to much. Have to intially tell her leave it, then she does just fine. She seem's really depressed, not my usual happy go lucky pup. Really can't wait until she is back to her old self!! Isn't even interested in her favorite toy. But still loves her Kong............

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you live in a nice neighborhood, there is no reason to not take the dog out for a short walk. I hear so many times of people basically keeping their dog in for 3 weeks, and that would make my dogs crazy. We live in a very nice residential community, nothing fancy, but no one lets their dogs roam, and it's perfectly safe for me to walk Grace around the block when she's in heat. Something to consider if your pup seems sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast