kennel cough

Thread: kennel cough

Defaultkennel cough

We're home from our house hunting trip to NC. Picked Sawyer up from the kennel yesterday (Sammy stayed with a friend), and he starting coughing about 3am this morning. Ugh.

The vet has prescribed Amoxicillan for us without seeing him - he was just there for his annual last week, and he's had this once before.

Is this any reflection on the boarding facility, or is it just one of those things that happens? ??? We've boarded both dogs at this place before and have been really happy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: kennel cough

Kennel Cough can be caught if a dog 2 houses away has it. I wouldn't say that it is a reflection on the kennel. My dog caught it just walking into the vets office after a dog that had it had just left! My vet says that Robitusin dm will cure it too. Over the counter and easily available!

I agree with the above post that it's not necessarily a reflection on the facility. Charlie has had the cough several times and it can have nothing to do with where he's been. I'd be careful about giving your dog an antibiotic without the vet acutally seeing him. From my understanding, kennel cough is most often caused by a virus and as you know, viruses are not killed by antibiotics. Only bacterial infections can be successfully treated with antibiotics and the more we use them when they're not necessary, the greater the chance that when our furkids really need them, the bugs will be resistant. I use an over the counter cough suppressant (Dextramethorphan) and am careful not to give the dog anything that has an expectorant in it which my vet says is not such a good thing for them. Frankly, in my experience nothing but time cures the cough. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you all so much for the advice. Sawyer is much better - doc gave him a clean bill of health. ;D

And then there is me who always gives you the "flip" side of everything!! We used several different vets and boarding facilities when I did rescue. One particular kennel and vet (next door to the kennel) ... we ALWAYS had sick dogs. If we put a dog in that place for a day; it ended up with KC. We started using another boarding facility ... new, clean, privately owned ... you get the picture ... NEVER had a problem. Have you ever asked to go "to the back" and check out the areas where the dogs are? Also walk around the outside and see how clean they keep it. Just my experience in doing rescue with various places. I guess I'm just concerned that Sawyer got this both times he stayed there. Hope he gets better very soon!!

Actually I was thinking back, Sandy, and this was the first time he picked it up there. The first time was at the vet's office. The place really is nice and clean. We checked it out before we took the dogs in the first time.

Oh well....in 8 days it won't matter anymore! ;D

;D WooooooooooHoooooo; only 8 days left!!

Can you believe it?

I'm...just....heck, I don't know....

LOL