Pro Pac Premium

Thread: Pro Pac Premium

DefaultPro Pac Premium

Has anyone heard of or feed this food???

http://www.propacpetfood.com/dogs/in...20020102155610

I took Lilo down to Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital in Akron this morning. She had her eyes examed
    because they are going cloudy. She has whats called Corneal dystrophy. But the doctor that
    saw her seems to think by putting her on a very low fat food with only between 6-9% fat in
    it, her eyes will clear up. Maybe not all the way, but a good portion of the way. This is the only
    food I can seem to find researching on the net with a low fat count. We have to feed it for
    4-6 months and take her back for a re-check.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pro Pac Premium

What are you feeding now? Remy had fat deposits on her eyes when I was feeding Nutro. I tried a low-fat and senior food and her coat fell apart and the cholesterol remained on her eyes. I switched foods and they went away.

Someone I know had the same experience when they fed Nutro which is why I was wondering what you're feeding.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I've never heard of it but I would be concerned about the high number of grains and the low meat content.

INGREDIENTS:
    Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, Chicken Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavoring, Yeast Culture, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine Hydroxyanalogue, L-Lysine, Vitamin* E Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, D-activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Proteinate, Manganous Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Copper Proteinate.

Brewers Rice, Rice bran, rice flour, rice gluten meal, yeast culture = junk. I personally would avoid weight loss foods. They are low in fat but they are also usually full of in low quality 'filler' ingredients. I did a bit of research for you and came up with this;

California Natural Chicken & Rice Red. Cal

Moisture 10.0 %
    Protein 18.0 %
    Fat 8.0 %
    Fiber 4.5 %
    Calories 1555 Kcal/lb
    Calories 3421 Kcal/Kg
    Calories 391 KCals/Cup

Ingredients:
    Ground Brown Rice
    Chicken Meal
    Ground White Rice
    Chicken Fat
    Flaxseed
    Sunflower Oil
    Natural Flavors
    Calcium Carbonate
    Taurine
    Vitamins/Minerals

Source: http://www.naturapet.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Laura- Lilo has been on Pro Plan Chicken and Rice since a pup. We just recently switched her over to the Pro Plan SS. I noticed her eye problem before Christmas and had our vet check them at her anual and thats when I found out what she had. Then took her down to Akron today for second opinion and see what we could do. She does wonderful on the Pro Plan and I actually hate to change her. This food doesn't look the greatest, but I don't know anything else with a low fat content. And she's not over weight so I'm also scared if I put her on a low fat that she will lose weight. (???)

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC