Kids and RAW

Thread: Kids and RAW

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultKids and RAW

This may seem like a silly question, but it's something I've wondered about while pondering which diet I'll use for my new puppy.

Would having your dog on a RAW diet expose your children to bacteria? I have 4 kids ranging from 12yrs-6mths. I love the idea of the RAW diet but I'm a bit concerned about bacteria from raw meat. Besides the obvious precautions you would need to take with the food bowls or area around the bowls, would I have to worry about the dog licking my kids? I'm worried about salmonella, ecoli, trichinosis.

Also, what about trichinosis in the dog?

Andrea
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kids and RAW

Not a silly question at all!

The way I see it, bad bacteria is everywhere. If you use some common sense and be vigilant in your food preparations you don't have much to worry about.

I don't feed full raw (half and half at the moment) but the people I know that do (all experienced owners and some breeders/trainers) have never had problems relating to bad bacteria.

I feed raw prey model diet (no veggies) and have not had a problem at all. I feed USDA graded meat so its really not a problem (its the same meat we eat just raw) I feed my dog outside and she prefers to just take it and eat it out in the middle of the yard. She doesn't use her feet or anything to eat but some dogs do. Some people feed inside in a crate or designated area but I don't want to worry about cleaning up and as I live in southern California there are no weather reasons why I would have to. If you are worried about Trichinosis then just don't feed Pork. the worst thing you can do bacteria wise is to feed ground food. Grinding increases the surface area (Bacteria grows on the surface of things) 1000's of times over and thus greatly increases the bacteria.
    All that being said your dog already I am sure does things to put you at risk of salmonella and other bacterium's such as lick its self or sniff other dogs or lick other dogs etc...
    Check out [email protected] and [email protected] for allot of info of people that already feed dogs raw and have for years.. this will also help you withall the rules as they have taught many people how to feed raw..

Kelly G. and Amber RN CGC
    Chino Ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yuna is offline Senior Member

Great, I think I just signed up with those groups. Thanks for the links.

Andrea
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss