Guys, what does "blowing coat" mean?

Thread: Guys, what does "blowing coat" mean?

DefaultGuys, what does "blowing coat" mean?

Last night I noticed that Lya's hair is even thiner in spots than what I thought. I know this time last year her coat was pretty thin, but I beleive it is worse this year.

Is this normal "blowing coat"? He gets oils in her food every day and I have started her back on fish oil.

Yikes,

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Guys, what does "blowing coat" mean?

Well I don't know the official definition, but in our house blowing coat was sort of like watching a fur explosion* ;D If we touched Sami handfuls of hair would come out.* No matter how much I brushed her, the hair never stopped coming.* However, she never got bald spots or even looked all that different.*

Labs blow their coat once in the Spring and I think they do it again (but not as bad) in the fall.*

Edited to add -- Sami blew her coat for at least 4 - 6 weeks. It was really something!

How old is she? If she has been spayed I think its pretty common for them to have thinner spots of hair when they are changing coats. It has happened to Oona in the past.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Small sigh of relief. The spot on Lya's neck is just where there is a brass ring on her normal harness. This still should not have happened and her fur is thin elsewhere, but at least there is a external physical reason for the spot. Until it gets better we are using a different harness and a little sunscreen as a precaution.

Is it winter yet?

Morgan with Lya

In my house it means blowing it:
    under the couch
    under the bed
    under all the chairs
    under the refrigerator
    in every stinkin corner it can find!!
    I've never seen so much dog hair in my life as I have this year!!

This thread answers our question about Clarence's sudden shedding--I mean, enormous amounts of doggie hair is everywhere! He hasn't shed that much since we got him him April but the past two weeks, I've been walking around with a lint roller. Holy cow. We brushed him yesterday and this morning he didn't leave too much of his fur on my dark pants. I think it's time to purchase a Zoom Groom...How long does this "blowing" typically last?

Hope Lya isn't getting anymore bald spots...