Swimmer's Tail??

Thread: Swimmer's Tail??

DefaultSwimmer's Tail??

Has anyone ever heard about this and is this the correct term?? Fergus was at his swimming rehab (in a pool) on Tuesday night & when we woke up Wednesday morning his tail was lying straight down and he can't seem to lift it up. My husband also noticed that it looks swollen as well. The women that he swims with asked us a few weeks ago if Fergus has ever had this, because he uses his tail so hard while he swims! At the time we said no...I guess we spoke to soon. She said if he ever gets it is usually only last a couple of days or sometimes up to a week...does this sound right?? I looked it up online, but couldn't find much more info other then that. I called the Vet this morning to see if there was something we could give him for the swelling or if it's something that you just have to wait to get better on it's own, but he has apparently never heard the term "swimmers tail"before?? Has anyone else's dog ever suffered from this before??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Swimmer's Tail??

i've never had this but do remember reading about it somewhere- it said that they feel like their tail is not even attached really or somehting- but that it goes away and is harmless... hopefully that is what this is... I think I'd call my vet and see what they think...

Cold tail. LINK. Scroll down, there are several articles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Most vets have never heard of Cold/Limber tail.

Laura

JP

Pretty common in Labs - known as "broken tail" this side of the pond. Maybe a sign of a good otter tail?