signs/symptoms of an obstruction?? tennis ball...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signs/symptoms of an obstruction?? tennis ball...

Defaultsigns/symptoms of an obstruction?? tennis ball...

Last night, Dakota was chewing on a tennis ball - she always trys to chew of the fuzz but then just plays with the ball... well she was in the next room and within 5-10 minutes she was sitting there with half a tennis ball- and the other half no where in site... she usually just spits out stuff she chews up big, but she swallowed this because its no where to be found...

I have no idea if she swallowed the half in one bite (which I can't imagine fitting down her throat) or if she chewed it in smaller pieces (althought she didn't have much time to get the pieces very small...)

She seemed normal last night and this morning so far, but what should I be watching for? I know I need to make sure she poos and hopefully see that ocme out, and that i need to make sure she is eating and drinking - not vomiting at all... what else are signs of an obstruction?

Hopefully she is able to just pass it... she will not be left alone for even 1 minute with a tennis ball again!

Thanks for any info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: signs/symptoms of an obstruction?? tennis ball...

Cinder has had surgery for an obstruction. She had a leash handle in her stomach and part of a toy in her intestines that somehow became attached. They couldn't go up or down. She started vomiting, but otherwise acting normally. By the end of the day she was very tired and laying around. At 4:30 in the morning she was crying in her kennel. When I went to check on her her kennel had lots of vomit. I brought her out and she tinkled which I took for a good sign. She then tried to poop and collapsed. I rushed her to the er vet and they did xrays and then surgery. She has since managed to eat other things she shouldn't have. Thank God she seems to have outgrown this (knock on wood) but when she would get a hold of things she shouldn't have eaten I gave her about a cup of orange juice and a couple tablespoons of olive oil in her food and it makes everything slide out without making her sick or crampy. Make sure you have time to spend running in and out with your dog and checking what comes out! Good Luck.

oh wow- so it sounds like the symtoms would se ton pretty fast? She did this about 5:30-6 last night and was fine all evening and through the night- and went on her morning walk and playing normal this morning... doesn't seem uncomfortable... I'll check on her at lunch...

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I believe the symptoms may be different if it's a partial vs. a full obstruction. I don't think you are off the hook yet.

ya, i won't feel better til i see some good pooin Going home at lunch pretty soon so hopefully I'll get to see just that (when else would you be praying to see some poo? haha)

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakotas_mom
    ya, i won't feel better til i see some good pooin Going home at lunch pretty soon so hopefully I'll get to see just that (when else would you be praying to see some poo? haha)
    I went through poop patrol with Brigetta when she ate a tassel. Hope Dakota's ok...keep us posted.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I went home at lunch and she had thrown up a little (food and some rubber) but my husband said she went poo before he left this morning... she seemed normal... eating good- we played some fetch and she poo'd a little more so hoping she'll be just fine...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

When I think about it I realise that Buck was showing obstruction symptoms for a week and I didn't realise it.

I'd just watch out for the level of energy. Make sure it hasn't gone down. For a week Buck pooped and ate normal but his energy level was slowly deteriorating. Then he threw up and had diarrhea. Just straight water came out and then he stopped eating and drinking and began to just sleep a lot. This is when I took him to the vet.

So keep an eye for a week and make sure she is drinking water and eating well and is just as active as ever
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

will do -thanks! She is definitely her usual energetic self! All seems normal so far - I'll feel better if I see all that rubber come out though

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Oh believe me! I know exactly how you feel. I hope it just passes through her with no problems.

Good luck!!!

Come on Dakota! You can do it!! Pass that tennis ball out!!! ;D
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast