Hot spot advice

Thread: Hot spot advice

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultHot spot advice

Hi all.

After our morning walk, I noticed that Joker (2 years old, black male) had a bald spot on his neck. On closer inspection I realised that this wasn't any old bald spot...it was oozing with pus and had a red scabby circle around it. The bald spot is pretty big. I looked in my medical book and everything points to a hot spot. I've never dealt with one of these before so here comes the question...what should I do? I have a vets appointment for tomorrow at 4:30pm (it is 4:15pm here now). Shall I just leave it until tommorrow? he is scratching now and then but doesn't appear to be in discomfort. I'm a little afraid that if I mix up some home remedy following advice from the internet or a book I will somehow make it worse...any clues?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hot spot advice

You can try Gold Bond Medicated powder, but if it's already oozing, he definitely needs to be seen. They will prolly give him an antibiotic and shave around the area. Poor boy; I hope it gets better quickly!

They spread pretty rapidly so I bet it will grow significantly by tomorrow. I'd clip the hair around it so air can get to it, apply some hydrogen peroxide liberally and pat dry, then spray it with Desenex Foot Spray to help dry it out until you can get to the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

what actually causes hot spots?

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Get some Gold Bond medicated foot powder and powder the heck out of it, starting ASAP. Keep powdering, any time you see any moisture put more powder on it. You can't make it worse but it will surely get worse on it's own by tomorrow if you don't treat it. Really, you can't believe how fast these things spread.

The last time one of my girls had a hot spot I clipped it, cleaned it, and used Gold Bond powder multiple times a day - and it cleared up pretty quickly. The key is to keep it dry.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What would I do without this forum!

Thank guys. I clipped it and applied some peroxide. He seems ok and doesn't appear to be irritated by it at all. I'm still off to the vets later

Guinness had a terrible case of hot spots last summer.... It started off with a small one @ the base of his chest... and spread across his whole belly with in 2 days. YUCK. Anyway, vet told is to shave the hair surrounding the sores with a pair of clippers (as licking & wet fur would help keep the moisture in & thus help spread the sores). After we shaved his the areas, we had to scrub the sores with a tea tree oil based soap & a gauze pad. I was worried that "scrubbing" the sores would cause Guinness more pain... it didn't @ all... He absolutely loved it!!!!! That had to be done 2x for about a week. But, it worked & his spots cleared up really quickly.