Made a vet appt for CoCo... What ?? to ask?

Thread: Made a vet appt for CoCo... What ?? to ask?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMade a vet appt for CoCo... What ?? to ask?

So CoCo hasn't been to the vet in a few months, since her spay at 6 months.

She's been having big yellowish eye goobers, and her ears don't smell great (although she lets us touch them and they don't really seem to bother her except she rubs them after a swim in the lake)... I blame that on us, for not cleaning her ears or giving her polysporon drops after each swim...

Besides that, we want the vet to evaluate her weight... give us her Sentinel pill for Sept, and ask about the area we are going camping in (not sure if there are ticks their or not)...

Is there anything else we should ask the vet to check? She's almost 8 months old... Could they feel out her hips and elbows?? Anything else?
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Made a vet appt for CoCo... What ?? to ask?

Well my vet always evaluates skin condition and listens to the heart. I usually ask about her weight too ... but you have to have a vet that's familiar w/ bench labs for that! My practice has 8 vets -- one of them will always tells me Sami is chubby. Turns out she has a field lab. So I stick w/ one particular vet now & she is familiar w/ bench labs, and said Sami is "just right" (but not to let her gain any more).

If you are having ear issues, make sure you find out how often you are supposed to clean them and w/ what. When I had Sami in for her rabies this week, the vet told me to clean them once to twice a week, but no more than twice. Sami swims alot too.

I don't know about manipulating the hips and elbows. I haven't asked about that . I did ask if they could do xrays on Sami when I had her spayed (for OFA submission). Now I'm not even sure I'll do that.

Oh, I'd have them check her teeth -- good dental condition is so important to overall health.

HTH

Thanks!

Most labs around here are bench, I don't see many field labs. If anything, they are HUGE BYB labs... But I'll be sure to take her opinion with a grain of salt, just in case!

So eyes, ears, joints, heart, skin, coat, teeth, gums, weight, flee/worm pills, possible ticks... I've got to make a list for DH, since he is taking her!

Yeah, we have only been cleaning her ears about once every 2 weeks. Not enough I know!!! I think once or twice a week would be much better. I will ask about that though.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If her ears smell and she is shaking her head most likely she has an infection. If you don't have her on preventatives for fleas and ticks it takes about a month before it is effective.
    Olie

Thanks Olie,

We have had her on Sentinel since the spring, which prevents worms (3 types) and fleas. We don't have ticks here. But we are going camping in an area next weekend that might. So we need to ask the vet about that.

She doesn't shake her head. She does rub her head onto your foot or the grass after she has been swimming. Her ears smell musty to me. It may be that they just need to be cleaned more regularly. Something we'll definitely check with the vet, in case it is an infection.
    ~Jo & CoCo