Skin problems and anal sac problems...I know yucky...and veggies...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin problems and anal sac problems...I know yucky...and veggies...

DefaultSkin problems and anal sac problems...I know yucky...and veggies...

OK, here is the thing. Lya's dermatologist had his tech check Lya's anal sacs even though she was showing no signs of problems there explaining that, "dogs with skin problems often have fuller anal sacs leading to problems." This task was 37 dollars, but that is an aside.

Keeping my ear to preventative medicine...I read Dr. Pitcairn's book and at one junction he stated that large and copious stools where the key to good anal sac health. This is some holistic medicine I am willing to get behind as it is:

Preventative
    Is physically logical
    calls for no mysterious substances which might cost a lot
    in sinc with what they recommend for humans
    and
    Makes Lya happy as she gets to eat more something she is very very fond of.

However, she has food allergies, airborn allergies, and as a result a problem with yeast.

Thus so far I have been adding green beans, spinach and carrots to her homecooked food. Mind you, for all who are keen on this carnivore thing, I am doing this for bulk for the most part but she should get a vitamin or two if it is done right.

Now Great Dane Lady says to stay away from Carrots and the more sweet veggies. Anyone have good ideas as to what would be the most optimal stuff to add without messing with her food allergies?

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya and Rocco

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skin problems and anal sac problems...I know yucky...and veggies...

Don't know if you happened to see this about anal sacs on that web site:
    http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...d_problems.htm

What food allergies does she have and what food is she on now?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

I have no idea why this happened but I used to have to take Oona every three weeks to have her anal glands expressed. It was always $50 a pop. I switched from giving her dog bisquits for treats to just her kibble. We haven't had to have her glands expressed in two years.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

Yes I did see that bit by Great Dane Lady...I was trying to avoid all that.

Right now she has to have a pound of meat a day, Venison, two cups of potatoes (which have a goodly amount of fiber) 5 600mg tabs of calcium, a vitamine pill, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of safflower oill.

This is what we know she is not allergic to. Veggies are usually not the cause of food allergies, and would add bulk and a good bit or two.

Once it gets cold again, I am going to try rabbit meat with her to see how she handles it.

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya and Rocco

$37? 50? Boy your vets are ripping you off. Murray also has allregies so he needs to have his anal sacs expressed every 5 weeks like clockwork. My vet used to charge $12 but has recently increased prices across the board (to pay for a new building : ) to $17. My vet has offered to teach me how to do it but it's worth $17 to have someone else do it. If I was paying $40-50, you bet I'd learn how to do it.

I've heard that adding canned pumpkin to their diet helps express their anal sacs. Couple of teaspoons twice a day.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    $37?* 50?* Boy your vets are ripping you off.* Murray also has allregies so he needs to have his anal sacs expressed every 5 weeks like clockwork.* My vet used to charge $12 but has recently increased prices across the board (to pay for a new building* : ) to $17.* My vet has offered to teach me how to do it but it's worth $17 to have someone else do it.* If I was paying $40-50, you bet I'd learn how to do it.
    Yikes, my vet charges $8.00.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

JP

You can actually express anal glands from the outside once you get the knack - by sticking a cotton pad in front of the orifice, there is minimal risk of being sprayed!!

A tablespoon of oat bran in every meal can help enormously - pure fibre, it swells in the stomach and helps to clean the intestine. We give quite a bit of fennel (keeps breath sweet), chopped parsley and lightly cooked pumpkin or squash... even zucchini lightly sauteed in olive oil.

It was $25 for the office visit and $25 for the procedure. I would have done it myself but they are the inside glands (not as easy to get too) and Oona hates to be touched their. It takes between 4 and 5 people to hold on to her.
    Olie

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask... how do you know if your dogs anal glands need to be expressed. We had a Blazer for 13 and a half years and he was never "expressed'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast