question about food

Thread: question about food

Defaultquestion about food

Hi everybody,

Im Tiffany and caesar is my 11 month old yellow lab. Now im looking for a possible solution to his perpetual ear infections. He started on Proplan and had constant ear and eye gook. Switched to canidae ( his ears where better, but he refused to eat it.)

He did well on Nutro Large breed puppy Lamb and rice, but as soon as I switched to adult. BAM the ears are back worse than before.

Im now researching Natural Balnce Duck and potato and Innova (green bag) Any experience or opinions? I have to try something. I can only think its the food. I havent let him swim in 6 days and the ears were worse with out the pool!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: question about food

I would stay away from the Innova and go w/ a more simple food. The NB Potato and Duck should help.

Personally we've had great luck w/ the California Natural brand -- you could use either the chicken and rice, or lamb and rice, but stay away from the Herring one. It has other ingredients (like Barley) that are not in the chicken and lamb formulas. California Natural is made by Natura, who also makes Innova.

If it were me, I'd go to a different protein source. If he's had problems on lamb, try the chicken (or the NB Potato and Duck) or another simple formula.

HTH

I live in Edgewater FL, so my resources arent that great most has to be specially ordered. Only 1 store carries NB duck and potato, 4 carry Innova and havent seen california natural at all.

Do you think innova will be too rich? Do you think im even on the right track here with changing food?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

It's not about it being rich.* The Innova has multiple protein sources. It also has barley, which can be an issue for some dogs.* That's why I'd avoid it (I actually am very suspect of Barley where my dog is concerned).*

I'd go w/ the NB if I couldn't find the California Natural.

Did you look on the Natura website at their store locator?* http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab* California Natural can sometimes be found at feed stores or speciality pet stores.*

Yes, I think you might be on the right track.* Remember, get something simple -- one protein, one carb.* Wellness even makes a couple of varieties in their Simple Solutions line (I think that's the name of the line ... something like that anyway).* Remember it needs to be a protein source that he's not had before.* And then don't give any treats (including rawhides, bones, etc)* It's kibble and NOTHING else for 8 to 12 weeks.

Edited to say: ... I hope you've discussed this with your vet, as I'm not one ;D.

Can you get Solid Gold dog food where you live? People have had good success with their Wolf King.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by threelabs
    Can you get Solid Gold dog food where you live? People have had good success with their Wolf King.
    That is a great food, I agree. BUT I would not use that as my first step. It has multiple carbs (millet, barley in addition to rice). Start with a simple food.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Which Canidae formula did you try, the original (has multiple meat sources) or have you tried the plain Chicken & Rice? I heard they were planning on coming out with a Lamb & Rice version also but not sure when.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all the replies. California natural is really tough to get around here. Thats why Im leaning towards the Natural balance Formulas. It is available at Petco and you know Petco isnt closing down.

I used the canidae ALS. I really had high hopes for it. Im trying to decide between duck and potato or the sweet potatoes and salmon, if i try natural balance.

Only 1 feed store carries Wellness, which makes me nervous b/c what if an emergency and i have to grab food quick. i do live in the great hurricane state LOL