Good weight for puppy?

Thread: Good weight for puppy?

DefaultGood weight for puppy?

Hello
    I just joined the forum today. Love was brought into our home when she was 6 weeks old (she is now 10 weeks). I have never owned a purebred Labrador before- and I was just wondering what a good weight for her would be. She looks healthy (maybe a little chubby if any thing). At 6 weeks she weighed 8.9lbs and at 8 weeks she weighed 12lbs. She has grown so much in the last two weeks. I won't know what her exact weight is until Monday when she gets her second set of shots.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Caitlin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Good weight for puppy?

Every pup is different... even purebred labs. Pictures work best... do you have any you can post? Also the vet will probably tell you if he/she feels your pup is too fat when you go in on Monday.

The numbers you posted "sound" perfectly within normal range but pictures and an inperson eval by your vet will probably be the most accurate way to tell.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As Ender's Mom said, every pup is different. There is such variation within the breed. Your pups weight/height will depend on its breeding, its parents, etc. There is no "right" weight and it doesn't really matter unless you are intending to show or do some sort of specific work that requires a dog to be a certain size.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Since Labs are the most popular breed in the USA* -- outnumbering the next 4 breeds combined, I think -- there's a TREMENDOUS amolunt of variation among them.*

So there is no expected weight for "THE Lab puppy" at this age or that age.

There are MANY different breed lines -- even among the 2 branches of the major dichotomy, BENCH vs FIELD Labs.

PLUS there are all the BYBs (Backyard breeders) and PMs (puppy mills).

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob 8-'01) has consistently weighed HALF of what her friend "Ray-chee" (YM, BYB field line apearance, 125 lbs., same birthdate).

Within any breed line there'll be more consistency (usually the longer the breed line has been in existence).

BUT IF the breeder is a BYB or PM and is NOT breeding to produce a reliable weight/size result, you could be looking at anything.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748