The Dreaded Kennel Experience

Thread: The Dreaded Kennel Experience

DefaultThe Dreaded Kennel Experience

Hello Lab Lovers,

We live in a suburb of Toledo Ohio. Our big boy Clancy is faced with a stay in the kennel. Are there any alternatives to the kennel here in the greater Toledo Area?

Godfather

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The Dreaded Kennel Experience

Ask other dog owners. They are usually a great source of information. You could even ask your breeder or other doggy people (vets, groomers, trainers, etc.) for recommendations.

Many non-kennel businesses don't advertise. Our in home pet sitter doesn't. She gets her customers from word of mouth.

There is a nice place near Chelsea Michigan called Animal Camp which is located on a sheep farm. The owner is very nice.

Then also, there is http://www.pet-ritz.com/ near Brighton which would be a bit further, but the have a working webcam and the grounds look like a Kentucky horse farm.

Morgan with Lya

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Is Clancy okay at home alone? If so, you might want to consider a pet-sitter. Here's a link that might help: http://www.petsit.com/locate.asp

mosmama is offline Senior Member

If Toledo and Norwalk weren't so far away, I'd offer to pet sit for you! I pet sit on the side from my full time job Ask your vets office. They may have information on pet sitters in your area.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I live in Toledo!

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

There is a kennel alternative in Monclova. My dogs have stayed there once, for a week. They had a great time, but I don't think I will be bringing them back there. The kennel is well run and the owner and staff are very competent, but I think that 12 hours a day of pool and play time is just too much, because my dogs have no sense of moderation.

Aly got pneumonia while she was there (I don't think it was the boarding facility's fault, but I think that she was sick anyway (which we didn't know) and that too much activity affected her immune system). Jacob came home with a skin infection, probably from spending so much time wet (from the pool). As I said, the staff was knowledgeable and caring and when Aly got sick, the owner brought her to my vet and stayed for her vet appointment. Aly turned out to be really sick and almost died (again, I don't think this was the boarding facility's fault) and I have no doubt that she would have died had the owner not be really paying attention.

Anyway, here is the link: www.rovercomeoverdoggydaycare.com

We board our dogs at our vet's boarding facility. Our vet is wonderful and his boarding is adequate. Next time, we will be getting half a day of day care for the dogs when we board them, so that they don't have to be in the kennel all day. I figure with half a day of day care, they will sleep all afternoon.

IM or PM me if you have any questions! I would love to know where in the T-do area you live.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!