arthritis in front paws

Thread: arthritis in front paws

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

Defaultarthritis in front paws

Our 8 1/2 year old lab, Kayla, has the beginnings of arthritis in her front paws, both have small lumps over the "knuckles". The vet prescribed an anti-inflamatory drug daily basically from now on. It is one that is easy on the stomach. We've had her on glucosamine all summer after noticing some twinges as she moved around. Has anyone had any experiences with this? I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    So, do you come here often?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: arthritis in front paws

no experience with front paws
    but shayna had knee surgery

this product is good - the joint formula
    http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

My dog has elbow dysplasia and had bilateral surgery on his elbows, so I have some experience with arthritis. First, what brand of glucosamine/chondrotin (G/C) supplements are you using? Most people, our ortho vet included, say that Cosequin DS is the gold standard and really is the best to give to your dog. It's pricier than other brands, but maybe you would be interested. Second, have you heard of Adequan? It was developed to help horses who have arthritis. There is a dog formula now that workds miracles on some dogs. It's also quite pricey, but I thought I would mention it anyway. Third, is there a canine physical therapy place near you? Underwater treadmill and electrostimulation tank have been very helpful with my dog's ortho issues. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I second the Cosequin and Adequan, although at my vets I find the Adequan to be really reasonably priced. I'm only paying $12.00 per shot. Shots are given twice weekly for a month, once weekly for the next month, and then monthly thereafter. The first month is a little high but it still seems like a bargain to me, especially since my dog is feeling so well on it.

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    First, what brand of glucosamine/chondrotin (G/C) supplements are you using?

I'm using a glucosamine/chondrotin treat from Drs Fostersmith called JointGuard. I started just as a precaution about 8 months ago but maybe it isn't strong enough since we now have the lumps. I'll check into the meds you mentioned.
    Thanks.
    So, do you come here often?