Why feed raw?

Thread: Why feed raw?

DefaultWhy feed raw?

Is it to help control allergies? Including ear allergies?

Does anyone know where I can find more information on this? Lindsay, do you have a link to the site where you can order prepackaged?

I want the info for my stepdaughter. Her dog suffers from terrible ear problems due to allergies. The vet has him on special kibble. The problem is, she can't keep her husband and others from giving the dog treats. He is not supposed to eat anything other than that kibble. I was wondering if a raw diet would help him. But, while my step daughter will do just about anything for her lab, if feeding raw is a daily pain in the you know what, I don't think she'll do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why feed raw?

There are many advantages to feeding raw and yes, it can do wonders for allergic dogs although that is no guarantee. Some websites I recommend;

www.rawlearning.com
    www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm (good FAQ)
    http://www.raw-connections.com/
    http://www.barfworld.com/
    http://www.auntjeni.com/barf.htm (pictorial)

But, while my step daughter will do just about anything for her lab, if feeding raw is a daily pain in the you know what, I don't think she'll do it.
    The pre-packaged stuff is expensive. There is a good chance this will cost more than whatever kibble the dog is currently on. Home made/home prepared food will cost much less. Home made raw can take time to prepare depending on what you are feeding. Obviously, this means your step daughter will need to go out and purchase the individual ingredients. She will also need to do a lot of research to make sure she is feeding a balanced diet.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Trickster is right. Also, even if the dog is fed a raw diet the dog can have allergic issues from continued feeding of treats with wheat, corn, etc. Sounds like someone needs to really put her food down with her family, and explain to them that they are making the dog sick by giving her treats she shouldn't have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Believe me.* She's told him a million times.

Thanks for the websites Trickster!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ditto to Trickster.

We are starting out prepackaged. I'm going with BRAVO! for now. We will move into doing 1/2 prepackaged and half home-made as soon as I see if Ender does well on the prepackaged.

I'm doing this for several reasons. Ender doesn't have allergies (that I am aware of) but part of me thinks all his digestive upset may have something to do with all the extra crap that is in kibble. I figure it is worth a try and to me... psychologically it just seems better to me to feed something that is close to what nature intended.

I did however... do a lot of reading on the subject beforehand... I think that it's important to be as well informed as possible.... THEN make your decision.

That being said... the lab-retrievers.net board has a whole forum devoted to feeding RAW or what they call "Natural Diets"... there are a ton of resources listed over there as well as a fairly large number of raw feeders. I go over there and lurk a lot just to learn more about what people are feeding their dogs and how their dogs are doing on the diet.

I have also heard, though I'm not sure I believe, in personality changes such as increased confidence.... general "happiness". I'm not sure Ender could be MORE happy/confident... but I'm curious to see if any of those type of changes happen.
    ~Lindsay