Allergies?

Thread: Allergies?

DefaultAllergies?

Zora 17 weeks. When we brought her home from the breeder at 8weeks she was eating Eukanuba fro LBP. I slowly switched her to Diamond LBP. She is scratching a lot. She is on Frontline, no fleas on her, so I'm concerned it may be the food. What should I look for to see if it is the food? Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Allergies?

it could be anything- every dog is different- I think I'd slowly switch back to what she was on before and see if that helps- then you know for sure it's the food... they can be allergic to all kinds of things- pollens, dust, even grass!

Good luck - I know allergies are frustrating!

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

It could be food or it could be environmental allergies. Most dogs that are allergic to food have trouble with wheat or corn in food. Some are allergic to the protein source. My dog is on a fish based food. Proplan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. We at first thought she had food allergies and switched her to that. Since then my guess is something in the environment since she is more itchy in the fall. We kept her on that food though because fish is higher in fatty acids, it contains no wheat or corn, and she does well on it. Good luck, it is a trial and error thing. If she was doing well on the previous food, switch back to that and give it a while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Could be fleas still. Even one bite will cause a reaction in some dogs. Read up on flea dermatits (sp?)

17 weeks is usually young for food allergies, but it can happen.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Did you use Frontline or the Plus and how long ago? I have read of some dogs having a reaction to the Fronline and/or Plus.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC