Growth on lip?

Thread: Growth on lip?

DefaultGrowth on lip?

our girl has developed a growth on her lower lip... it is whitish and smooth (round)... it is probably the size of a small pea right now but we have watched it grow to this size in the last couple weeks...
    It does not seem to btoher her in anyway - eating normally and everything... so I'm sure it's probably something minor...

I'm going to take her in but wanted to see if anyone has had this before? I looked int he home vet handbook and the only thing I thought it might be is a wart... although it is smooth not cauliflower like and the book says those usually come in multiples and this is just the one...

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Growth on lip?

I thought of the warts, too. How old is Dakota? These warts usually happen during the dog's first 2 years.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

she is 9 months... the only thing is that it is smooth and the book I looked at said they are cauliflower like... also it said they come in clusters usually and she just has the one...

since it's not bothering her, wart is the first thing I thought of too...

Thanks!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Puff had one for awhile and it never had a cauliflower texture.* Then a couple more erupted -- they were all on her left lower lip.

A vet suggested we schedule an appointment to have them surgically removed.* But the book said they usually spontaneously remit in about 6 weeks.* We left them alone and they did go away.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Good to know! Ya, I figured if that's what the vet said it was I'd let it go for a while and see if it goes away on its own... if not we can probably have it removed when she gets spayed so she doesn't have to be put out twice. However, she needs to go into heat first

Thanks- good to hear it went away!

Went to the vet yesterday - - - he said it is a wart- he said they are more and more common now with doggie daycares all over the place... he said 90% go away on their own so he took a pic of it next to a penny so we can keep an eye on its growth... if its not gone on its own in a month or two we can have it removed when we spay her... but he seemed to think it wouldgo away on its own and is nothing to worry about

The warts are caused by a virus specific to dogs. As their immune system gets stronger, the warts generally disappear.