Those who feed raw... is one meal raw, one meal kibble okay?

Thread: Those who feed raw... is one meal raw, one meal kibble okay?

DefaultThose who feed raw... is one meal raw, one meal kibble okay?

Is it okay to feed one meal raw, one meal kibble? I know that each is digested differently, and at different rates (kibble takes longer?) but if they're separated by about 10-12 hours, is it okay?

Will the moisture in raw cause the kibble to expand more than say if Henry was on an all kibble diet, and drinking appropriate amounts of water?

I'd prefer to keep Henry on kibble for two reasons:
    1. I can't afford to have him eat this prepackaged raw two meals per day
    2. ease for when we travel or if I have to board him

I know I won't see all the benefits of raw when he's only eating it one meal per day, but am I wrong in thinking that at least this way he's getting one better meal per day?

Also, when I picked up his prepackaged raw, this is what they sold me:
    1. Five 5lb bags of ground chicken (with bones ground in)
    2. Four 2lb containers of "stew" (70% ground chicken or turkey or rabbit or lamb or venison + 20% veggies + 10% organ meats and an egg)

What I figure, in order to use up all that ground chicken, I'll have to feed two meals ground chicken and then one meal of stew for about a month. Two of the stews are chicken, and the other two are lamb and beef, but it looks like he's eating primarily chicken for about a month.

Is that too much??

Once all that ground chicken is gone, I plan on feeding him the different stews.

Thanks, again!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Those who feed raw... is one meal raw, one meal kibble okay?

Will the moisture in raw cause the kibble to expand more than say if Henry was on an all kibble diet, and drinking appropriate amounts of water?
    I don't know whether dogs digest kibble and raw differently (I can imagine that they do, but I have read conflicting stories/opinions) but I do know that dogs drink less on a raw diet.

I know I won't see all the benefits of raw when he's only eating it one meal per day, but am I wrong in thinking that at least this way he's getting one better meal per day?
    My dogs are eating almost half raw/half kibble and have been doing so since late May. In September it will be back to kibble with just regular raw meals due to me being back at college. As you say, dogs that get half and half don't receive all the benefits of raw but I am pleased with the results. Their teeth look great and skin look great (even my itchy boy Murph's skin has almost cleared up), nice breath, no ear troubles, small firm stools, etc. etc. I also get a lot of satisfaction from watching my dogs enjoy proper food. Even Trick, my GSD/Collie mix, who is not a huge eater LOVES his raw meals and eats with enthusiasm.

Is that too much??
    Too much chicken? no, I don't think so. A lot of people who start out on raw feeding use chicken as the base of the dogs diet for the first month or so because it is easy on the digestion.

DefaultRe: Those who feed raw... is one meal raw, one meal kibble okay?

Thanks, that eased my mind a bit!!

I guess, after all, Henery eats a chicken-based kibble, so that means he gets chicken all the time anyway!! :

It's only for a month, and then I can start rotating different protein sources.