I've always heard to check my labs gums if she gets hurt, but what do white gums mean? Here's what happened last night. I took Cinder to a family birthday party that was held outside. She can't seem to leave the bees alone lately. She has been stung several times in the last two weeks with no outward sign of a reaction. She kept snapping at the flying bees yesterday. I went inside to get my four year old a plate of food and when I came back she was just laying there. Not being her social little (haha, little ) self. She [loves] people, especially people with food! No one saw her get stung, but then again no one was assigned to "watch" her. Her eyes were starting to look weird, kind of puffy, but kind of out of it. I checked her gums and they were VERY pale, almost white, and her tongue looked slightly bluish. Someone then found an area of vomit that had bees in it. I gave her benadryl right away. After a few minutes she started looking more like herself. She then would drink water and get up to walk around. Obviously she had an allergic reaction to the bees, but what do the white gums mean? I was getting ready to take her to the animal hospital but she perked up. She was panting very hard also. Today she seems fine but I've given her benadryl last night before bed and again this morning. I was afraid she was having a hard time breathing since she was panting so hard. Any advice?
Oh gosh!! this made me relive Moby getting stung when I read this. Please bring your dog to a vet. How pale were her gums? Moby has a history of going into anaphalactic shock from being stung. NOT to scare you but this sounds like the beginings of anaphalaxis to me. Moby goes completely grey in the gums, zones out and then usually collapses if he is stung. We have an epi-pen for him and unfortunately had to use it last month. As someone else mentioned it does get worse each time they are stung. In july when Mo was stung he collapsed within 2 minutes. PM me with any ?'s you may have. I have a lot of info!
If your dog vomited bees he probably got stung in the mouth or throat where you can't see...
our pup is allergic to bees and her face swells up like a sharpie! Luckily she has not seemed to have breathing problems though...still we watch her very carefully aorund them and always have benadryl on hand. We use the leave it command very sternly when she tries to swat at them flying by... she's getting better.
I don't know about the white gums thing but I'd check with a vet... our pup was her normal self - just super swollen so sounds like a different kind of reaction... I know anytime their gums are pale it's a sign of sickness of some sort... good luck!!