She ate yeast...now what?

Thread: She ate yeast...now what?

DefaultShe ate yeast...now what?

Penny tore up 3 yeast packets....not sure how much she ingested, but there was a lot on the floor. Do I need to worry? Just wondering if it would upset her stomach to eat a couple teaspoons straight baking yeast!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: She ate yeast...now what?

I don't know about the yeast, but I found this about yeast dough. Can you call the vet to check?

Yeast Dough
    Did You Know… the dough used to make many of the delicious fresh-baked goodies during the holiday season could pose a serious problem to our pets if eaten?

Raw or uncooked yeast-based dough can not only expand in the stomach as it rises, causing an obstruction or intestinal rupture, yeast can form alcohol when it rises, which could potentially result in alcohol poisoning. Pet owners should take care to keep pets out of the kitchen while preparing meals, and never allow food items- such as rising yeast dough- to be left on countertops or other areas where pets can reach them.

Brookville, Pa.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: She ate yeast...now what?

I doubt plain yeast will do anything to the dog. I understand if it eats a wad of dough that would rise, but this is just plain yeast. Chances are the conditions aren't even right to activate the yeast. Anyone who does baking knows that the water temp needs to be JUST SO and you need to add a little sugar to feed the yeast. Chances are the dogs stomach is TOO HOT and too acidy and would kill the yeast.