Best Grooming Tool

Thread: Best Grooming Tool

DefaultBest Grooming Tool

Could someone tell me the best grooming tool they use for their Lab's coat? I have the shedding tool that makes a loop but was wondering if anyone uses the rake kind, and if they are better.

Thanks so much!

???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Best Grooming Tool

ZOOM GROOM, can buy them at petsmart very cheaply.

The one you have is better than the rake, in my opinion. I just got this thing called the "Furminator" and it works well on the Lab coat. I got for my newfie mix but the head is so small it would take a few years to get one undercoat out. The only downside is the cost. The big one is $60 American dollars. My new guy Hooch sheds so much though that I think it was worth it.

I don't have the package anymore but I'm pretty sure it has a money back guarantee. Maybe you can try it and send it back if you don't like it.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh, I have the fuminator . I only used it once and boy has Raiders coat been shiny since then. I think you can over do it though , so I only use when shedding is a problem. Then I brush everday wtih a soft plastic paddle brush love it.

labby is offline Senior Member

Labs normally only need to be brushed/groomed maybe once or twice a week. Any more than that and its over kill and can damage the coat and skin.

Try a pink Zoom Groom rather than the shedding blade that you are using. The shedding blade can damage the coat.

I won't even comment on using a furminator. :

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We use a slicker brush or a comb during their shedding times. I am probably a bad lab mom, but probably only brush them like once ever couple of weeks. I give them vigorous scratches with my fingers though and brush off the hair with a towel almost daily. They love it.

MTI Guest

I don't think there's "one" grooming tool for Labs or Goldens. We have the Furminator, Zoom Groom and a hand strap grooming tool,

Slicker brushes work well with dogs that have "feathers" such as Goldens and longer haired dogs that mat.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think it was said best that there isn't just one grooming tool for the Lab coat. I will probably invest in the Furminator since I have all of the other products mentioned. I was looking around on eBay and found Furminators at a pretty low price. eBay rocks sometimes. Ha!

But again, thank you to everyone.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Lab coats differ enormously -- some are VERY thick and others (like my Puff) are much thinner (although she still has a true double coat it is FAR lighter and thinner than many others).

What works best for some will not work best for all.

We like and use a Zoom-Groom.

BTW, although Labby said a PINK Zoom-Groom, I've never seen the slightest indication of a difference in labelling (or functioning) between the pink and the blue.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

JP

The zoom groom seems to work well for most Lab coats. Be careful with the really aggressive implements as they tend to strip all undercoat without differentiating between healthy and dead - you can end up with a coat looking like a wollen sweater washed in boiling water! For the blacks, stay away from the multiple metal prongs that dig up flakes of skin. Actually, it can't be great for the yellows either but it's really unsightly on the blacks.

Our favourite tool is an ordinary fine tooth metal comb with a comfortable handle - used at an angle, it gets out all that matted undercoat with minimal damage.