Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

Thread: Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

DefaultHeartworm in older labs-advice needed

I am thinking of adopting an 8-9 yr. old lab. I just found out he is heartworm positive and that now days people/vets are choosing not to treat it in older dogs. At least not the more aggresivve treatment. It's been said it's too hard on them.

Does anyone have a senior that is heartworm positive on the "preventative"?

I am upset I just found this out and I'm not sure what to do. I had too put my dog of 14 years to sleep in April and I do not want to go thru another illness like that.
    I am concerned that if I do adopt this dog that he will have a sudden onset or worse. He is not really showing any symptoms at the moment. I am getting his vet records on Monday.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

my hat is off to you for even considering adopting ANY older lab.
    a frank talk with a vet you trust, after you have received the records, including your financial resources, is in order here. most heartworm is a slow progression, not an acute problem, and the cure is indeed hard on an animal. you will hopefully get some sound advice as to what you can expect [if anything!] given the age & condition of this animal. it may also turn out that this dog has a mild [new-ish] infestation that will be relatively easy to treat.
    please keep us posted!

Me too. Most people would hear that and walk away. But, every dog deserves a good home. Sounds like a good home for this one is overdue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Years ago I had an older Boykin Spaniel that came up positive for heartworms (even though she was on preventative). My vet suggested that we just continue to treat her with her regular heartworm preventative (Ivermectin) and monitor her. If the dog has a mild infestation then what happens is that the Ivermectin kills new baby heartworms and the older heartworms eventually die off on their own. My dog eventually totally cleared herself of heartworms, and she never showed any ill effects at any time. She also lived to a ripe old age.